Ruben Is Looking Poorly | Page 2

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by Grammywms, Jun 23, 2019.

1. OP
    OP
    Grammywms

GrammywmsValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +74
    Experience:
    Just started
  2. OP
    OP
    Grammywms

Ratings:
    +74
    Experience:
    Just started
    Ruben has had 2 doses of kanaplex, 1 more in 2 days. That's supposed to be the max. What happens if he he still isn't perky? Can it be repeated or do I put him back into his tank and just wait awhile longer? He seems a little more active. He was just staying in his leaves.

3. Meliodas

MeliodasNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +21
    Sorry for the late response, been a crazy weekend. That sounds like a perfect setup! I’d love to see a picture once you get it all set to your liking. Snails can hitchhike on plants but not always in my experience. I do keep snails in all my tanks because they offer various benefits and my population is always kept in check, as I do not over feed. But everybody has different experiences with them. There are ways to dip your plants in a bleach mixture that’ll supposedly get rid of them, but I have never done that myself. There are a lot of well written articles you could check out if that is something you’re interested in!

4. Meliodas

MeliodasNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +21
    So what you should do is let him sit through the whole treatment and follow the directions perfectly. After the treatment put him back into his tank and give him a week before deciding if you need to give him another round of treatment. I have had to give two rounds of treatment before on a particularly bad case of finrot. Just give him a week break in nice clean water and he’ll be ready for another round if he needs it! Also, java moss is great if you can find it! I have a tough time finding it in stores.

5. OP
    OP
    Grammywms

Ratings:
    +74
    Experience:
    Just started
    Thx, I'm dosing today, 3rd dose, then Wed will put him back in his tank after water change and gravel vac. Can't wait to see how he acts. He's a tad more active than when I first put him in his 1 gal hospital tank. I'm ordering Indian Almond Leaves from Bettawan in Thailand. Hopefully that and clean water will help healing and regrowth. I think Amazon sword grows to tall gor my tank. I m thinking about pygmy chain sword. The java moss seems so prolific and invasive.

6. Meliodas

MeliodasNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +21
    That sounds like a good plan, I have three smaller amazon sword that fit in my 10 gallon but eventually they will outgrow it. The pygmy chain sword will work just as good too! I'm excited to see if you notice any change in his behavior after he has time to settle into his home again. Hopefully just one round of treatment is all the little guy needed! Almond leaves do wonders for fish health from what I have heard. Good idea to grab some of those!

7. OP
    OP
    Grammywms

Ratings:
    +74
    Experience:
    Just started
    Have you had snails on your plants?

8. Meliodas

MeliodasNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +21
    I have had snails on some of the plants I had purchased from petco, but not amazon. You can see the eggs on the plants pretty easily. I could have removed them before I put them into the tank, but I did not simply because I enjoy some snails in my tanks. However, I get that is not how everybody feels about snails. If you see any eggs on your plants just give them a rinse and rub your finger over the eggs. They will wash away quite easily in my experience.

9. OP
    OP
    Grammywms

Ratings:
    +74
    Experience:
    Just started
    I don't mind a few snails, but my 5 gal. prob. can't house very many, if any besides my nerite, plus the more snails, the more poop. But I'm afraid of a population explosion. Glad for you advice, though, because I wasn't comfortable with soaking plants in bleach water or salt water.

BTW, Ruben is officially back in his clean, gravel vac tank. He is more active than he has been in past 8 days in hosp. tank. Hated not being able to clean the 1gal tank he was in for all that time. Will let you know how he does. Almond leaves should be on their way soon.

10. OP
    OP
    Grammywms

Ratings:
    +74
    Experience:
    Just started
    Well, I guess I spoke to soon. Ruben is lying on the bottom of his tank, in the corner, almost white in color, lifeless. I think he's gone. I'm going to get the net and bring him up. Needless to say, I've been crying. Never dreamed I'd get so attached to a fish. I tried everything I could to keep him alive and healthy, and then to restore his health. The only good thing that comes out of this 11 month experience is that I have gained a lot of knowledge about keeping a betta. Also, I've probably got every product on the market on hand to care for and treat another one. So all the money I spent on Ruben will not be for naught. RIP little Ruben. You will be missed.

On another note, since my nerite PeeWee is still living in the tank and I plan to get another betta, should I just leave the filter running and heater on?

11. OP
    OP
    Grammywms

Ratings:
    +74
    Experience:
    Just started
    Well, he has changed his position slightly 3 times in the past hour, but still on bottom in same corner. It's killing me to watch him die.

12. Meliodas

MeliodasNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +21
    I am really sorry to hear that and sorry for the late reply!! I know how hard it is so I completely understand. How many days has he been off treatment now? I would go ahead and give him another round of it now in hopes that it will help him. Regardless of what happens, you did everything you could to nurse him back to health and you definitely have learned a lot. Keep doing whatever is in your power until the end and that's all that you can do. Only other impactful thing I could think of is feeding him the treatment, but he may not be interested in eating since he isn't feeling well. If he has passed, and I hope he is still fighting, I would leave everything running as normal until you're ready for your next fish!

13. OP
    OP
    Grammywms

Ratings:
    +74
    Experience:
    Just started
    Well, he died during that night. I hope he didn't suffer too much. I'm going to do a 20-30% water change and gravel vac, then go get another betta. I've got two plants on driftwood ordered (anubias nana petite and cardinal plant) for starters. I've got Indian almond leaves ordered as well.
    It's funny, I keep looking in his tank to see him like I always did. He was so much fun to watch when he was well.

14. Meliodas

MeliodasNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +21
    You clearly care for your betta and I know this next one will thank you for it. I'm sorry he didn't make it, its always tough to lose a fish you've bonded with. I've lost a couple betta now and it never gets easier when they go.I would love to see a picture of your new fish when you get him!

15. OP
    OP
    Grammywms

Ratings:
    +74
    Experience:
    Just started
    I will definitely post a pic of my new one. Hoping to get one this weekend. Maybe blue or white...something that doesn't look like Ruben. Yeah, if I knew back when I bought Ruben what I know now, I might have been able to keep him healthy. I got a lot of bad advice from Petsmart, all the way from the frequency of water changes, bringing aquarium water sample in for test strip testing of parameters and basing my need for water changes on the results, which were always "pristine". I could go on and on. This forum has taught me so much and I've done a lot of online research as well.

Thanks so much for your support and encouragement.

16. OP
    OP
    Grammywms

Ratings:
    +74
    Experience:
    Just started
  17. OP
    OP
    Grammywms

Ratings:
    +74
    Experience:
    Just started
    Meet Endeavor...named after Chief Constable Endeavor Morse on PBS tv... because he hasn't stopped investigating since we put him in his aquarium today. Isn't he a beauty?

18. OP
    OP
    Grammywms

Ratings:
    +74
    Experience:
    Just started
    He was still in his petsmart cup when these pics were taken. Tomorrow I'll post some in his newly decorated aquarium, once the lights are on.

19. Meliodas

MeliodasNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +21
    He is beautiful! Great job picking him out. The name gave me a good laugh, so thanks for that! I would love to see him in his aquarium with all the new additions as well!

20. OP
    OP
    Grammywms

Ratings:
    +74
    Experience:
    Just started
    So far, cardinal plant start and anubias nano petite, in fore ground, 2 marimo moss balls in back and 3 silk plants. It's a work in progress. Endeavor in front. You'll probably have enlarge to see him better. 20190707_165900.