rubbing up on plants?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FishLuver

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I have a red platy and a molly that seem to be rubbing against the plants once in a while. They have no white spots, but I was wondering if they will itch before the white spots occur if it were to be ich????

Could it be something else? Stress from adding new fish?

My readings are:
amonia: 0
nitrite: 0
nitrate: 0
pH: 7.0
kh: 80
gh: 180

AlyeskaGirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Did you add some new fish recently? Quaranting new fish for at least 10-14 days is a good idea, it can save you from this sort of thing. ICH is always present in the tank and stress can cause it to attack. If they are rubbing on stuff then I would keep a close eye on them. If you do start to see tiny white spots like grains of salt then you need to raise temp slowly to 86 for two weeks or more and perform partial daily water changes with a gravel vac every few days.

I hope things turn out OK.

midthought

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Did you add some new fish recently? Quaranting new fish for at least 10-14 days is a good idea, it can save you from this sort of thing. ICH is always present in the tank and stress can cause it to attack. If they are rubbing on stuff then I would keep a close eye on them. If you do start to see tiny white spots like grains of salt then you need to raise temp slowly to 86 for two weeks or more and perform partial daily water changes with a gravel vac every few days.

I hope things turn out OK.
I had always thought that ich was not always present in a tank, that it is a parasite that can be killed off through heat for extended periods. Once you get rid of it, presumably if you don't introduce a new inhabitant with it, then it shouldn't come back regardless of tank temp changes or a fish's weakened immune systems.

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
https://www.fishlore.com/Articles/CuringIch.htm
The link on ICH above may be helpful if you haven't already seen it.
One more:
http://theaquariumwiki.com/Ich

There is a possibility that once your fish have been infected with ICH and the ICH has been cured, your fish could build an immunity against it and they may not get it again unless new fish are introduced with the disease.

Keep your eye on things. Sometimes fish do just have an itch that they need to scratch. Flashing (as your fish are doing) is a sign that ICH may be present. Until you start seeing white spots, try to relax a bit and not worry too much. ICH is treatable as stated by other members.

Best wishes!
Ken

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Water Change Frequency?

• Daily

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Weekly

Votes: 57 64.8%
  • Every Two Weeks

Votes: 12 13.6%
  • Monthly

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • As Needed (from test kit results or based on knowing your tank)

Votes: 17 19.3%

Top Bottom