Rubbing On A Plant

  • Thread starter

mizzoufan96

Valued Member
Messages
326
Reaction score
0
Points
111
Experience
3 years
Hello Everyone,
One of my platys have been rubbing on a plant in my tank every once in a while. Does this mean anything? Its the only fish in the tank doing it. I think my fish are pregnant. Are these signs she might release fry? Just wanted to know if this is something good or bad.

Thanks
-Nathan
 

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Messages
6,744
Reaction score
97
Points
293
Experience
More than 10 years
what are your water parameters like? Sometimes they could just be scratching themselves but often times it stems from complications due to water quality.

The signs i've noticed from a platy in labor are fast breathing, hiding or hovering, random darting about, and voracious appetite (or sometimes no appetite at all). Really the main clue is that the fish just isnt acting normal, but isn't necessarily sick.
 

FishLuver

Valued Member
Messages
105
Reaction score
0
Points
111
Experience
Just started
My red platy has been doing the same thing. I posted it under freshwater diseases and got a few responses. Go take a look if you want. Basically, it could possibly be ich. If there are no tiny white spots, just keep an eye on it because it could be normal for them to be itching on the plant (called flashing). But as soon as you see the white spots then you know it's ich and you need to treat it asap.
As for being pregnant, I'm not sure if flashing is a sign of readiness to give birth. I think flasing is mostly a sign of disease.
Good luck!
 
  • Thread starter

mizzoufan96

Valued Member
Messages
326
Reaction score
0
Points
111
Experience
3 years
jetajockey said:
what are your water parameters like? Sometimes they could just be scratching themselves but often times it stems from complications due to water quality.

The signs i've noticed from a platy in labor are fast breathing, hiding or hovering, random darting about, and voracious appetite (or sometimes no appetite at all). Really the main clue is that the fish just isnt acting normal, but isn't necessarily sick.
Parameters:
Amonia 0
Nitrates 0
ph around 8

Some of them are hiding in the back of the tank and occasionly zip all around.

FishLuver said:
My red platy has been doing the same thing. I posted it under freshwater diseases and got a few responses. Go take a look if you want. Basically, it could possibly be ich. If there are no tiny white spots, just keep an eye on it because it could be normal for them to be itching on the plant (called flashing). But as soon as you see the white spots then you know it's ich and you need to treat it asap.
As for being pregnant, I'm not sure if flashing is a sign of readiness to give birth. I think flasing is mostly a sign of disease.
Good luck!
There are no white spots and I don't think its ich because I havn't added any new fish in over 3 weeks.

Thanks everyone, Nathan
 

tatty_kassy

Valued Member
Messages
234
Reaction score
0
Points
111
Experience
1 year
I'm not an expert by any means, but I have a pregnant platy right now and I have noticed once and awhile she rubs herself on this rock thing I have in my tank. My water levels are all good, shes been doing this for over a week now and so far no spots or anything. Its not like she does it all the time, I have only caught her maybe 4-5 times this week. She'll be finished eating, hovering around sort of bored, and I've noticed she kinda wiggles and moves her tail around more. Its almost like she is stretching or something? It can't be that comfortable being so round. So after shes done "wiggling" she'll rub up against that same rock. Then shes great and swimming around eating again.
As I said, not an expert, but I have been watching her for awhile now and no ich. I'd say these people are right, just watch her and you should know if there is a problem, ich isn't that hard to spot I've been told.
If there still isn't any ich, your fishy could just be fat and uncomfortable like mine
 
  • Thread starter

mizzoufan96

Valued Member
Messages
326
Reaction score
0
Points
111
Experience
3 years
tatty_kassy said:
I'm not an expert by any means, but I have a pregnant platy right now and I have noticed once and awhile she rubs herself on this rock thing I have in my tank. My water levels are all good, shes been doing this for over a week now and so far no spots or anything. Its not like she does it all the time, I have only caught her maybe 4-5 times this week. She'll be finished eating, hovering around sort of bored, and I've noticed she kinda wiggles and moves her tail around more. Its almost like she is stretching or something? It can't be that comfortable being so round. So after shes done "wiggling" she'll rub up against that same rock. Then shes great and swimming around eating again.
As I said, not an expert, but I have been watching her for awhile now and no ich. I'd say these people are right, just watch her and you should know if there is a problem, ich isn't that hard to spot I've been told.
If there still isn't any ich, your fishy could just be fat and uncomfortable like mine
Yep mines doing the same thing. I'm sure your right. I'm still looking for any signs of ich just to be safe.
Thanks
Nathan
 
Toggle Sidebar

New Threads

Similar Threads

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media





Top Bottom