Rubbing alcohol in fish tank

Lafuller505

Reaction score
I accidentally got a little bit of rubbing alcohol in my open top 55 gallon while I was spraying in my room. The next morning I noticed my angelfish having a hard time breathing and looking stressed out and faded. I did a 50% change. She didn't eat that day. This morning I noticed she doesn't look quite as bad but she still is having trouble breathing and looking worse for wear. All the other fish seem fine. All the stats tested at 0 this morning, but the water seemed slightly cloudy. What should I do? Please help! My angelfish has been with me for many years and I don't want her to die

Gel0city

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
They are very different. Prime is a water conditioner and converts ammonia to a less harmful ammonium for 24 hours only. API stress coat increases the fish's immune system by "building" their slime coat. As for the cycle, I am not sure.

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
If all your numbers are zero it could b I would monitor daily . Never used stress coat so can’t comment on that Prime will detox ammonia n nitrites for 25-48 hours . Not sure if any is still in your tank.. but from the words of someone on here when in doubt change it out... meaning do a WC I assume:)

OP
L

Lafuller505

Reaction score
Than you everyone that replied! I did a 50% water change and added stress coat water conditioner for now since I don't have prime, and things are already looking better. She still looks faded but her breathing slowed and seems about normal. I will have to keep a close eye on the nitrogen cycle. I appreciate everyone's advice!

New Threads