Rubbernose Plecostomus! Oh my...

1. K3NN3TH

K3NN3TH Initiate Member

Ratings:
    +0
    So my local petsmart just got a couple of these little guys in, pretty cool looking, about 2 inches right now with a gold-brown spotted color.

I haven't been able to find out a whole lot about them.

I have a Marineland system 12, and my two little cory cats have been slacking on the algae growing on the glass, and more importantly the driftwood maintenance. I had a common pleco (Douglass, bless him) that is no longer with us, who did a great job keeping the driftwood clean.

Does anyone know if the rubbernose has the same affinity for wood as the common pleco?

Additionally, I am in the process of re-planting my tank, just put a anubias nana and a amazon sword in yesterday, and more soon to come. Douglass the common pleco wreaked havoc on the plants I had previously, does anyone know if the rubbernose pleco, like the bristlenose, is more gentle with aquarium plants. I want to get one soon, but I don't want him going and up-rooting all my new plants before they've had a chance to settle in.

Thanks guys.

2. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Ratings:
    +273

3. OP
    OP
    K3NN3TH

K3NN3TH Initiate Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, I've checked that out already, and while it's nice, I still can't get any info on whether or not the little sucker is going to uproot and destroy all of my plants. My last pleco was a little weed wacker.

I have an anubias nana, amazon sword, and soon-to-come, several contort vals, wisteria, crypts, anacharis, and dwarf four leaf clovers. I think that the anubias nana and anacharis will probably be OK, and the wisteria, crypts and sword too, but I fear for my vallisneria and four leaf clovers.

I've also been wondering if he would be a magnet for the driftwood, which would be cool.

4. Butterfly

Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Ratings:
    +96
  5. OP
    OP
    K3NN3TH

K3NN3TH Initiate Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah planet catfish is good stuff been reading through it. Although now it seems that maybe its actually the rubber lip pleco that petsmart has in stock. I wonder what the difference is...

6. OP
    OP
    K3NN3TH

K3NN3TH Initiate Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Just got my rubbernose pleco in. He has great colors and is still really small, probably less than 2 inches. He's pretty shy so far and hasn't taken to the wood yet. I'll keep you posted on my experiences with him.

7. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Ratings:
    +273
    Hello K3. By all means keep us updated. Congrats on the new addition. I'm sorry did I miss his photo thread?:giggle: :camera:
    Happy Holidays!
    Ken:cold:

8. bolivianbaby

bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

Ratings:
    +62
    Congratulations! Can't wait for pics.