Rubbernose Plecostomus! Oh my...

1. K3NN3TH Initiate Member

So my local petsmart just got a couple of these little guys in, pretty cool looking, about 2 inches right now with a gold-brown spotted color.

I haven't been able to find out a whole lot about them.

I have a Marineland system 12, and my two little cory cats have been slacking on the algae growing on the glass, and more importantly the driftwood maintenance. I had a common pleco (Douglass, bless him) that is no longer with us, who did a great job keeping the driftwood clean.

Does anyone know if the rubbernose has the same affinity for wood as the common pleco?

Additionally, I am in the process of re-planting my tank, just put a anubias nana and a amazon sword in yesterday, and more soon to come. Douglass the common pleco wreaked havoc on the plants I had previously, does anyone know if the rubbernose pleco, like the bristlenose, is more gentle with aquarium plants. I want to get one soon, but I don't want him going and up-rooting all my new plants before they've had a chance to settle in.

Thanks guys.

2. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

3. K3NN3TH Initiate Member

Yeah, I've checked that out already, and while it's nice, I still can't get any info on whether or not the little sucker is going to uproot and destroy all of my plants. My last pleco was a little weed wacker.

I have an anubias nana, amazon sword, and soon-to-come, several contort vals, wisteria, crypts, anacharis, and dwarf four leaf clovers. I think that the anubias nana and anacharis will probably be OK, and the wisteria, crypts and sword too, but I fear for my vallisneria and four leaf clovers.

I've also been wondering if he would be a magnet for the driftwood, which would be cool.

4. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

5. K3NN3TH Initiate Member

Yeah planet catfish is good stuff been reading through it. Although now it seems that maybe its actually the rubber lip pleco that petsmart has in stock. I wonder what the difference is...

6. K3NN3TH Initiate Member

Just got my rubbernose pleco in. He has great colors and is still really small, probably less than 2 inches. He's pretty shy so far and hasn't taken to the wood yet. I'll keep you posted on my experiences with him.

7. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Hello K3. By all means keep us updated. Congrats on the new addition. I'm sorry did I miss his photo thread?:giggle: :camera:
    Happy Holidays!
    Ken:cold:

8. bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

Congratulations! Can't wait for pics.