Rubbermaid storage bins suggestion

Orion5

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hey everyone!

This isn't really a thread, but more like a suggestion.

As you might know I'm a big fan of those rubbermaid roughneck storage bins as temporary houseing for fish during illness, moving, or what have you. But I realized that the deeper ones tend to start bulging at the top and middle the more water you put in them, and if you leave them bulging they can have a slight tendency to crack or warp. I've discovered that before filling it with water you should wrap the bin in duct tape in three places- the bottom, middle and right at the top - to reinforce it a little before adding the water.

Just a thought in case you need to use one.

Cheers!

Orion5

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good idea! I tried moving the thread but couldn't locate the tips/tricks topic though...

JustKeepSwimming

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I know someone who was using barrels - I'm guessing rain barrels - to house her platys outside during the summer. They might take to huge amounts of water a little better if all else fails.

Another, cheaper suggestion would be mop buckets. You can buy them brand new for just over a buck.

Orion5

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I do use mop buckets for very temporary housing of fish, but I remember once I moved and the tank cracked. The rubbermaids came in really handy. I could install the filter, put the rocks in and heater and run the thing like the real aquarium for well over a week. Probably would have lasted longer too!

And back when we used to prepare our water before a water-change... ... it was handy to have these containers to store the new water in overnight.

I do like that transparent model!!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom