Rubbermaid storage bins suggestion

Discussion in 'DIY - Do It Yourself' started by Orion5, Jan 8, 2013.

1. Orion5Well Known MemberMember

Hey everyone!

This isn't really a thread, but more like a suggestion. :)

As you might know I'm a big fan of those rubbermaid roughneck storage bins as temporary houseing for fish during illness, moving, or what have you. But I realized that the deeper ones tend to start bulging at the top and middle the more water you put in them, and if you leave them bulging they can have a slight tendency to crack or warp. I've discovered that before filling it with water you should wrap the bin in duct tape in three places- the bottom, middle and right at the top - to reinforce it a little before adding the water.

Just a thought in case you need to use one. :)

Cheers!

2. monkeypie102Well Known MemberMember

Good tip... I think it should be added/moved to the tips/tricks thread!

3. Orion5Well Known MemberMember

Good idea! I tried moving the thread but couldn't locate the tips/tricks topic though... :(

4. JustKeepSwimmingWell Known MemberMember

I know someone who was using barrels - I'm guessing rain barrels - to house her platys outside during the summer. They might take to huge amounts of water a little better if all else fails.

Another, cheaper suggestion would be mop buckets. You can buy them brand new for just over a buck.

5. Mrs.PriceValued MemberMember

I like the opaque rubbermaid's, they let more light in and you can see them swimming! :D

12822856.jpg

6. Orion5Well Known MemberMember

I do use mop buckets for very temporary housing of fish, but I remember once I moved and the tank cracked. The rubbermaids came in really handy. I could install the filter, put the rocks in and heater and run the thing like the real aquarium for well over a week. Probably would have lasted longer too!

And back when we used to prepare our water before a water-change...:) ... it was handy to have these containers to store the new water in overnight. :)

I do like that transparent model!!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice