Rubberlip Pleco Found Dead When Got Home From Work. With Black Brusing Or Body Of Nose And Belly

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish and Invertebrates' started by Gotts84, Apr 15, 2017.

1. Gotts84

Gotts84 New Member Member

So i get home from work tonight and i find my rubberlip pleco on ground upside down and black belly and black nose. Idk he waa fine this morning.. Hes in a 20 gallon tank and yes has drift wood in the tank he rarely was on it though. Moatly on filter intake wall thingy... Still have brislte nose which hes even smaller than the rubber lip like 2 inches maybe.. Sorry cant show pic hes already down toilet.. But veey sad and i dont know what caused the black body ?

2. Ed204

Ed204 Well Known Member Member

Hi there,
    What are your water parameters?
    What is in the 20 gallon with him?
    Do you have a picture of him that might help.

3. OP
    OP
    Gotts84

Just had one bristlenose little one and 6 glofish tetras and 5 glofish danios and 5 neon tetras. Thats it oh and 2 nerite snails

No tossed him down toilet already didnt think of taking pic but i saw someone else here it happened with his albino bristlenose but no luck.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 15, 2017
  4. Ed204

Alright. Do you know your Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate levels? And when did you last do a water change.

5. OP
    OP
    Gotts84

Just did a 50 percent water change should be good idk my water levels no but i use the stores to check for me but i also use soft water since i use reverse osmosis when i get it checked its usually good levels and they day just do a 20 percent water change and thats it.

6. Ed204

Alright, when was the last time you got it checked?

7. Ed204

Do you do a 20% water change every week?

8. OP
    OP
    Gotts84

Just about i usually do probably more like 30 to 40 percent changes and filter cartridges get clogged up pretty quick like 1.5 weeks or 2 weeks tops.. So i. Change those too and try to keep up it all the time when i can..

9. OP
    OP
    Gotts84

So maybe like week and half i do the water changes.

10. DoubleDutch

DoubleDutch Fishlore Legend Member

A rubberlip is a coolwater / hillstreamlike species that needs oxygenated water. Maybe the clogged filter and the fact there is an8 BN in (a 20G is minimum for those in my opinion) is culprit.
    But we never know for sure.
    The black belly could be caused by decaying intestials afterwards. Kind regards Aad

11. OP
    OP
    Gotts84

No its not clogged now i change it when its clogged.. It wasnt clogged yesterday and i got another one in a 20 gallon and hes doing just fine.. I got one bn and a rl in a 36 aswell.. They r bigger ones in the 36.. My 20 gallon they are only like 2inches max

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice