Rubber Lip Pleco

Discussion in 'Pleco - Plecostomus' started by kalake, Mar 29, 2010.

1. kalake

kalake New Member Member

Aquarium parameters are all good, ammonia zero.

2 weeks ago got 6 little barbs, 3 days ago got 3 platys and 1 pleco.

We got him 3 days ago. Just want to know how is this guy normal behaivor. He has been active just the first evening and after that he has been hiding himself all the time. We wanted to feed him last night and after light went off and other fishes seemed to calm we let algae wafer down... hahaaa all barbs got so active after that and started looking until find and had a good and long dinner, so I don't think pleco got any. We are a little worried for that hiding as well or is it normal???

2. steed1172

steed1172 Well Known Member Member

plecos normally hide in the day, as the *prefer* the night "shift"

algae wafers and zucchini/cucumber slices also feed plecos..(mine also like carrot slices), while the algae wafers may get your barbs going, they may not like the veggies, also veggies(fresh) are often to hard for them to eat, so the pleco eats happily, just weigh it down with decor,or skewer them with something "fish safe" and they will find it, take it out the morning or the next day, if you don't think he ate any, try again or with a dif veggie.

also you can try placing the algae wafer... say 5-10 minutes AFTER lights out.

best of luck with the new fish :D

3. e_watson09

e_watson09 Well Known Member Member

rubber lips hide pretty often but I wouldn't worry too much the poster above has given some good advice on them

4. ppate1977

ppate1977 Well Known Member Member

Mine hides all the time. I got myself a nice piece of driftwood and now he is always on that, much easier to enjoy him. Get yourself a piece of driftwood if you don't already have one.

5. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Hello Kalake and Welcome to Fish Lore!

Congrats on the new fish. My Pleco loves Zucchini slices. He's in the same spot every morning at feeding time waiting for it. They will adapt to your feeding schedule over time. If you use fresh veggies and feeding time is at night, be sure to remove anything of it remaining the next morning.

Keep in mind that adding driftwood to your tank can alter (lower) your pH levels. Something to keep an eye on.

His hiding sounds normal to me too.
    Good luck. I hope you can share some photos with us sometime.
    Ken

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice