Rubber Lip Pleco with ich?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by fish ninja, Jan 7, 2013.

1. fish ninjaNew MemberMember

Hey everyone. Just two days ago I bought a rubber lip Pleco from Petsmart and today it has started showing signs of what I believe to be ich. Sorry about the quality of the pictures attached but if you look closely you can see little white spots on it. So far the Pleco is the only fish in my tank that I can see the spots on so I think it had it before I bought it (very dissapointed with Petsmart). With the current fish I have what would be the best way to treat it and prevent it from spreading? Thanks for your replies.

Attached Files:

2. JayseeFishlore LegendMember

Don't be too hard on petsmart - you didn't buy the fish with spots on it did you? Besides, ich is the easiest ailment to cure. Hope that's all the fish came with.

There's a lot of information on the forum about how to cure it naturally. Just follow the guide :)

3. AlanGreeneWell Known MemberMember

4. JayseeFishlore LegendMember

Oh, and welcome to the forum.

At least 86 degrees for 2 weeks - it's as simple as that. Still, it would be a good idea to read through some of the threads. Lord knows there's a lot of them :)

5. AlanGreeneWell Known MemberMember

Welcome friend, you came to the right place for correct advice and a friendly crowd :) best of luck with the ich treatment

6. fish ninjaNew MemberMember

One problem is I have a heater that keeps the temp at a constant. How would I go about raising the temp without buying a new heater?

7. AlanGreeneWell Known MemberMember

I can't think of a way, you'd just have to bite the bullet and get a new heater, heat is the best natural way to treat this problem so it is highly recommended

8. fish ninjaNew MemberMember

It's hard to tell from the pictures but he is pretty covered with the spots. It seems like it is a very aggresive form because I don't believe that when I bought him that he had any spots at all. He doesn't seem very active. He just sort of sits sideways on the wall at the bottom of the tank like he is in the pictures. I am afraid that if I use the heat method it will not be quick enough to save him. should I try using the meds or try using the heat and focus on keeping it from spreading?

9. JayseeFishlore LegendMember

If the fish is infested then I would use quick cure. It will provide relief in just a couple of days.

10. fish ninjaNew MemberMember

Alright Thanks. I'm pretty new to this and I think I have a carbon filter so what should I do about that? Also are these meds safe for all of the fish in my tank and where can I get it? Will it stain the decorations and silicone in the corners of my tank? Thanks for your help!

Last edited: Jan 8, 2013

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice