Rubber Lip Pleco Always Hiding

1. E

Empwright New Member Member

I have a rubber lol pleco in my 75 g community tank for a few months now and he seems to like to hide behind my uv sterilizer most of the day I have drift wood in the tank but he seems to not venture far from his little spot, would getting another rubber lol help him come out more? I have a gold spot pleco in the tank too and he's hardly shy so I was thinking its that particular pleco but I'm not entirely sure.

2. wes009

wes009 New Member Member

Rubber lip plecos are shy by nature also they are more active at night.. when I first got mine I never saw them unless I snuck into the room at night with the lights off and when I opened the lights I would see them for a few seconds while they scurried off to hide..

I recently moved the tank to a place on the house that got more "people traffic" and I guess they got used to people in the room, so I see them out and about all day swimming from rock to rock, cave to cave and eating.

Just make sure they have plenty of places to hide in the tank. Seems to have worked for me.

How long since you bought/introduced your rubber lip pleco to your tank? It could just be adapting to its environment.

I wouldn't worry too much about it :)

3. OP
    OP
    E

Empwright New Member Member

I've had him a few months I think he just likes hanging around my uv sterilizer my other pleco and catfish seem to always be around the driftwood he prolly just doesn't wanna be around all that activity