RTBS with goldfish? 75 Gallon Tank 

NMfishman

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I was originally going to keep just Goldfish in the tank, I really love the RTBS and was wondering if they could go together. I know RTBS tend to be bullies but I thought since the goldfish are large they might not be bothered. Maybe if you don't think the fancy goldfish would work what about the comets and shubunkin types?

Also I can keep the tank at 72-75 degrees which should be acceptable to both fish

gremlin

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
What type of goldfish? If it is any of the fancy varieties, they are slow swimmers and may not be able to hold their own. Also, mixing any type of tropical fish with any type of temperate water fish can be tricky. The goldfish will be more comfortable with changing water temperatures from day to night. Tropical fish prefer a steady temperature. Also, 72-75 can be a bit warm for some of the varieties of goldies. Comets and shubunkins really prefer cooler temps than the fancy varieties. They are faster swimmers than the fancy goldfish, so they may be able to swim away from aggressive tank mates.

NMfishman

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I prefer to have fancy goldfish, but if the comet and shubunkin types would be better I could get them. I know the temps are a little warm for some goldies but unless I get a chiller (which cost 100-200 dollars) for the tank I can't get it any cooler. The fact that the comets are faster swimers and better able to stick up for themselves is why I was thinking they might be better suited for the RTBS.

Anyone else have thoughts?

gremlin

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
If you go with the comets/shubunkins, you will need to provide a large enough tank for them to swim in. They are very active swimmers. They can grow to be over a foot long and will need a tank that allows a minimum of 2 feet in any direction for turning and swimming.

psalm18.2

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Do you already have the goldfish?

Elodea

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I agree with Gremlin. Personally, I wouldn't do it, RTBS can be very notorious fin nippers, and it won't be pretty considering the long, flowing fins of many goldfish.

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good morning,

I would not recommend any type of sharks with Goldfish. I don't think the Goldfish will be able to avoid the aggression and territory issues that Red Tail Black Sharks or Rainbow Sharks display.

Ken

NMfishman

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
psalm18.2 said:
Do you already have the goldfish?
no I don't, don't even have the tank yet.

ok yeah I won't put them together, I just didn't want to have to choose between the two but I guess I will have to. I kinda figured it wouldn't work so all well.

Thanks everyone!!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom