RTBS behavior

NMfishman

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I was wondering what RTBS behavior is like, I know they are typically aggressive to smaller more placid fish, but other than that what are they like as in are they very active, do they cruise around the bottom of the tank or do they primarily stay inside there cave. Also are they nocturnal?

I really like these guys and I would like to put one in a tank I am going to set up, but I don't want to get him if he is not going to be seen much and just hide during the day.

Thank you!

Landozer18

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Mine commonly only bothers my faster Zebra Danio's when they get close to his territory(cave), my clown pleco's when they are in the bottom of his cave & my upside down catfish when its out, however the catfish doesn't seem to be bothered by him. He doesn't bother my shrimp or white cloud minnow(probably cause the minnow & shrimp avoid his territory.

He is in & out of his cave frequently(day & night). The only time he really leaves the cave area is when he chases the much fast Danio's but he gives up quickly and returns to the mouth of the cave or near by. Sometimes I catch him scavaging around the entire bottom of the tank.
(YOU NEED A CAVE OR SOMETHING)Do not reccomend having multiple.

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good morning,

I have a Rainbow Shark, same family as the Red Tail Black Shark (RTBS) and it's rare that it hides at all. This is in my 265g tank.

When I purchased the fish as a juvenile, I didn't see if for almost 6 months. I thought it had died and I never found the body. Surprisingly it appeared one day and has not gone back into hiding since.

While they are young, they will hide and are quiet subdued. As they mature and age and become acclimated to their environment, the aggression and territory issues may begin.

Mine will chase and nip my Silver Dollars fins. The Silver Dollars are elderly for the most part and luckily I have enough of them that the aggression is spread out. Too, they have room to escape in this size of a tank.

Landozier made a good point, I would never recommend having more than one per tank, and in no less than 55 gallon.

The Rainbow Shark is all over the tank. He's always cleaning plants and searching for food. He doesn't just stay on the bottom .

Ken

NMfishman

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Thanks guys! Yeah I will only have one in the tank and it will be most likely a 75 gal tank.

I would also love to hear about anybody elses experience with these guys!

Alessa

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I have a Rainbow Shark, and a Red Tail Shark in my 29 and my 50 gallon tanks. Both of them are the same behavior-wise.

The Rainbow Shark is physically more plump. I don't know if it is because it may be a she, or because of a natural difference from the Red Tail.

Behavior wise, my rainbow is in a tank with a huge Veiltail Koi Angel Fish, Two Ghost Catfish and a tiny miniature dwarf platy, ocationally chases the platy, leaves the ghosts alone (maybe he just does not see them... LOL) and will have territorial disputes with the angel. All the encounters are usually rather funny, as he (she) will give up in less than a second and go hide back in the driftwood. (She also hides when I walk towards the tank too quickly).

My Red tail in the 29 mostly eventually chases a danio or a rasbora, and again gives up. Oh and it is terrified of the female betta that ended up living in the tank by mistake. LOL.

I have not have bad experiences with either, and are overall very pretty and cool fish to have.

kloseo

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I have a rainbow shark in a 75 gallon with br parrots, angel fish, rainbows and loaches. I have found having lots of hiding places for the shark and having him with larger occupants has really curved any aggression in his behavior. He likes to hang out with the loaches and has never been overly aggressive however he will occasionally chase the rainbows. I have had him for about a year and a half and have really enjoyed him.

NMfishman

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Thanks all for the input!

bolivianbaby

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I have a red-tailed black shark in a tank with bloody parrots, rainbow cichlids, a jaguar catfish, and a severum.

when I first brought him home, he hid all the time. We named him "Cena" because of it. Now he's always out and about looking for food and doesn't bother anyone. This is in a 55 gallon tank

I also have a rainbow shark. He was an adult when he came to me from a very dear friend of mine. He's in with a female JD, a bloody parrot, and a raphael catfish. He's very active and friendly. He's in a 75 gallon tank.

NMfishman

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Thanks BB!
How long did it take for your RTBS to start coming out? Other than just giving him lots of caves, is there anything I can do to get him to start coming out faster? Also should I get the RTBS before the other tank mates or should I put him in last?
Thank you!

bolivianbaby

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Anytime, Danny Boy Sorry, I couldn't resist. That's just too fun

It was a couple months after we bought Cena before he started coming out.

Caves are good because they give them "territory" and a place to hide if they feel threatened.

I'm fairly certain the other fish in the tank made him less shy. When I first got him, I put him in a tank with a pair of convicts and a juvenile JD.

Cena started coming out more when I started training my JD to hand-feed.

Our rainbow shark has never been shy, but he was an adult when we brought him home.

I've always heard to add sharks to the tank last. I've always done it that way, so that's what I advise because it worked for me and apparently, it's worked for others as well.

Hope this helps. These fish are so cool and fun to keep.

AlyeskaGirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
My RTS never hide that much when I got him over a year ago. He's been in 125 gallon tank since May & is out & about all the time. Started out in the 55 gallon. I don't think he has a particular hiding spot, he's too busy cleanin stuff from one side to the other. He's very layed back. Great fish that loves lots of space.

NMfishman

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
lol no worries, I like being called Danny boy ;D

Well I think you guys have me sold on him! what would the best tankmates be? Would an Oscar work with the RTBS in a 75 gal, could I have a severum or convict in there with them as well?

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom