Royell developed another problem

nmwierman1977

Well Known
Reaction score
I don't know what is going on with him. There are days I think that he's better and then there are days that he looks horrible and doesn't want to move. I noticed yesterday morning that one side looked to be a bit bigger then the other. It's right towards the rear by his kidneys. This morning I got up and checked on him and in that area that was bigger it look like something white is sticking out, almost like another ulcer or something, but I don't think it's an ulcer. He hasn't had those since he had the dropsy and I stopped putting salt in his tank a long time ago. Could he have a kidney Infection? I really don't know. He's losing his color really fast too. He hasn't eaten since Sunday night.His last dose of the Furan 2 was last night. Should I give him the penicillin or try the maracyns again? If this is a kidney infection is there anything I can give him to make it better? Natalie

Phloxface

Well Known
Reaction score
Has he had penicillin before? If not then I'd use that as I think it's stronger than Maracyn. I'm not sure if you can use penicillin more than once. Maybe someone else knows.
I'm sorry this is happening to him. I really hope he gets better.

OP
N

nmwierman1977

Well Known
Reaction score
No, he's never had Penicillin before. The only 2 meds he ever been on are maracyn/maracyn2 and Furan 2. Do you know if that would help with a kidney infection if it is in fact a kidney infection? natalie

lisa987

Reaction score
I don't know how to answer the meds question because I'm too new to this, but I'm sorry to hear that Royell is having more health problems. He's proved that he's a tough little guy to survive dropsy so hopefully he can keep on fighting.

OP
N

nmwierman1977

Well Known
Reaction score
I took a look at his side tonight. The white spot is no longer there. He's still pretty weak and hasn't eaten anything yet. His side doesn't look as big as it was either. I don't know what's going on with him. I'm going to maybe try laying off the meds for a little bit and see if anything changes. I did a 50% water change tonight and put the carbon in to clear it out, so we'll see how he is tomorrow. The parameters still aren't back at 0. They were at .25 the other day, but I didn't do a water change yesterday and so now it's back to 1.0. Maybe that could be why he's feeling under the weather again too. I don't know. We'll wait it out for a few days and if he gets any worse then maybe I'll start him on either the penicillin or the maracyns again.I want to try to get the parameter's back at 0 and see if that's the problem or not.

It just seems like he's back to health for a few days then he goes back down hill for a dew days. It's been going back and forth like that for about a week now. I don't know if he's coming or going anymore. It's definitely a rocky ride. Natalie ??? :-\

OP
N

nmwierman1977

Well Known
Reaction score
Well Royell looks a little better today. I did a water change last night and put the carbon in the fliter to get the meds out. He seems to be doing better since I did that. He still hasn't eaten anything yet. Hopefully I'll get him to eat something tonight. Natalie

voiceless_kat

Well Known
Reaction score
Natalie, I just wanted to let you know I am thinking of you and Royell. You have been so helpful to Neptune and I. These little critters really get under your skin - I hope it all works out. Val

OP
N

nmwierman1977

Well Known
Reaction score
Thanks Val. I'm glad that I can help. It makes me feel good knowing that I can help someone else with there problems, when I'm still having problems of my own to deal with. I just hope he pulls through this after everything he and I have already been through together and it's only been a month that I've had him, half the time him being sick. I want to beable to enjoy him again. Natalie

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I'm sorry to hear about this. Hopefully he will soon be 100% better. He's a fighter so I'm sure whatever is going on now, he will get over it.

OP
N

nmwierman1977

Well Known
Reaction score
Thanks Omorrokh. Royell and I appreciate everyones well wishes. It so nice to have such a great bunch of people as friends like all of you are. Natalie

LZ Floyd

Reaction score
I know whatcha mean about having a fish that has been sick most of the time you've had him.  You've pulled Royell out of a tight spot, though, and this may just be part of the rehab.  Hope he starts coming around for you.

Mike

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I have one fish (Blaze) who just got over being medicated and he has the whitened areas in the kidney area and I am wondering if this is a reaction to the kidneys working harder when they are medicated. The kidneys filter the medications out of their systems and our poor little bettas that have been so medicated lately probably have overworked those kidneys and dropsy would have overworked them and with the salt they would also have been strained. Give him a few days without medication but if you see any sign of worsening go ahead with the penicillin for at least 5 days and more preferably 10 days.

You are both in the prayers we say at this house and the kids and I send well wishes and hugs.

Rose

cherryrose

Well Known
Reaction score
I sure hope that Royell feels even better soon. We have been having so many dificullties with our babies lately. Barney, Belle, Benji, and BambI are sending well wishes along with mine.

CherryRose

OP
N

nmwierman1977

Well Known
Reaction score
chickadee said:
I have one fish (Blaze) who just got over being medicated and he has the whitened areas in the kidney area and I am wondering if this is a reaction to the kidneys working harder when they are medicated. The kidneys filter the medications out of their systems and our poor little bettas that have been so medicated lately probably have overworked those kidneys and dropsy would have overworked them and with the salt they would also have been strained. Give him a few days without medication but if you see any sign of worsening go ahead with the penicillin for at least 5 days and more preferably 10 days.

You are both in the prayers we say at this house and the kids and I send well wishes and hugs.

Rose
I never even thought about that Rose. As usual you are always thinking. He does look a lot better today. His color is back again. His kidney area is no longer sticking out, so, maybe it was just because they were overworking on the meds. He has been medication free for 2 1/2 days now.He still hasn't eaten, but I'm trying not to worry about it. I know that he will eat when he is ready to eat again. I'm still doing water changes to get that ammonia back down. It's driving me nuts because one day it's down the next it's back up again. Natalie

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
It is the old nurse in me. I know about some things and others I am clueless.

Yes the ammonia is going to be wicked with the water changes. They can go toxic overnight in an uncycled tank and unfortunately that is where you are kind of right now.

Take care and try not to worry. Royell will be able to tell if you are upset. He will eat when he is just a bit better, it is probably the ammonia causing his appetite to be gone for a while.

Rose

OP
N

nmwierman1977

Well Known
Reaction score
Sad to say, but I don't think Royell is going to last tonight. I came home from work and I checked on him. I decided I was going to do a water change because I didn't get to do one yesterday, and he went to swim to a different spot of the tank and as he was doing this I noticed that on both sides of his body near his tail he had a huge hole in his body. It's almost like someone to a scalpel and cut a piece of his body off him. Right then and there I decided I was going to take him out and dump the whole tank. I took the gravel and plants out and threw them in the garbage. I cleaned his tank out and filled it back up and put him back in it with nothing in there. I'm not sure if he got like that because of the gravel and all the junk in the gravel was eating away at him or if it was from all the medication. I didn't want to take a chance , so I just dumped everything out. I've been siphoning his tank every night to keep the ammonia down, but there has still been a lot junk in there.

I can't believe he's still alive after I saw his body like that!! He wasn't like that a couple night's ago. This had to happen between last night and today. I don't see him living through tonight. If he does I'll be very shocked. ****, I'm shocked that he survived Dropsy. Can he even recover with this type of body damage to him? I don't see it happening. I almost feel like euthanizing him, but I just don't have the heart. If he's going to go I'd rather that he go on his own at his own pace and time. It's just so heartbreaking to see him this way. :'( Natalie

cherryrose

Well Known
Reaction score
Oh, Natalie, I am so sorry to hear that Royell probably isn't going to make it. You did, and are still doing, everything you could for him. You are an excellent Betta mommy. My heart goes out to you. I will be thinking about you and sending warm and healing thoughts your way. I am so sad. :'(

CherryRose

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I am sorry to hear he has had another setback. He's gotten through so much already, so don't give up on him just yet...

OP
N

nmwierman1977

Well Known
Reaction score
Trust me Omorrokh I won't give up on him. I haven't yet, nor do I intend too. We've come so far, but I think that's why I'm so disheartened by it all. He is such the fighter and I applaud him for not giving up on himself. Natalie

New Threads