Royell beat's the dreaded Dropsy disease

nmwierman1977

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Yes, I think Royell may have beaten the dreaded Dropsy disease. ;D He is still pretty weak and has a long way to go before he's going back into the 5 gallon with Burt and Ernie. I'm still going to treat him with the penicillin just to make sure the infection is completely out of him. His color is coming back little by little. He swims around pretty well, but he needs to build his muscles back up again. He has a little trouble with the current. I think he purposely swims in that corner a lot though because he wants to build his strength and muscles. He's determined to get better fast. He's eating pretty well. He ate 3 bloodworms this morning and I will probably feed him some pea later this afternoon. He is still very skinny too. I'm sure once his appetite gets better he'll start gaining that weight back.

I just can't believe he beat it!! ;D I'm so ecstatic about this. Hopefully he'll keep improving and this penicillin will knock out the rest of the infection if he still has any in his system. I want to make sure he is 100% before I put him back in the 5 gallon.

Yippee!! LOL ;D ;D 8) Natalie

heatmisr

Valued Member
Reaction score
Congratulations, Natalie!!! I am sooooo happy for you and Royell. It is wonderful to hear that Royell has gotten better and it is all due to your caring and determination that he did. You didn't give up on him. I can't wait to hear when he is back in his home with his buddies.

Nicole

nmwierman1977

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Thank Nicole. It's very seldom that they beat this disease. I'm glad that Royell is one of very few that did. Natalie

nmwierman1977

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Rose, do you think I should still do atleast one round of the penicillin or should I go back to the maracyns? I just want to make sure the infection is completely out of his system. Natalie

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I would save the penicillin for something else unless he is having symptoms. If you are sure you want to do something then the Maracyns would be the best bet since they are working on this for you. Once you use the penicillin it will lessen its effectiveness at a later date for something else, so I would not use it unless you think there is definitely something active going on with him.

Just a suggestion. It won't hurt him to use the penicillin but he has had a lot of meds and you may really need it worse some time in the future. If he starts to show a symptom of a bacterial problem though do not hesitate and go ahead with it.

How's that for being wishy-washy??

Rose

nmwierman1977

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I'd say that's pretty wishy-washy. Thanks for the input. I'll go back to doing the maracyns together for one last week . It'll be starting on Tuesday. You have no idea how relieved I am that I got him back to health. I've never dealt with such a bad disease before like this one and I was really worried that I was going to screw things up. I guess I didn't and what I did worked. Natalie

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
The thing is, seriously, that you are the one there who can assess the situation with Royell and it is hard to say whether he needs it without seeing him in action. You are the best judge of his condition. He sounds like he is doing well and just needs to recuperate and get his form and strength back. If this is the case then you don't want to keep giving medications for a long time as he is going to react to the medications and when he is well he needs just to get back to being the little betta you know and love. He is not ready to be in the big tank yet, I agree he will just wear himself out dashing here and there. The smaller area confine a bit of the movement and also gives you the control over the environment a bit better than if he were with Burt and Ernie. Do another round of the Maracyns if you feel that you just want to be safe, but I doubt he needs them. He needs to rest and do some exercise in a controlled area and eat what he will and if he is not eating well at one time you can divide the meals into 3 or even 4 smaller meals if that will get more nutrition into him even if it is one worm at a time. I don't think I would worry too much about constipation unless he starts to eat better.

I do want to congratulate you for your ability on this. You did a fantastic job. I lost my very first fish and first Betta to dropsy and it was hard, so I know what type of work you had to do to make this work. I am so happy for you both. He is a real little fighter.

Rose

0morrokh

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I am sooo glad to hear that!! So many Bettas have been sick around here lately so it is so good to hear that they still have the fight in them. Royell is one amazing Betta.

nmwierman1977

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Okay, Well I'll see how he does w/o the last shot of maracyns. Tonight is his last dose of the Furan 2. He didn't eat anything this morning. He ate yesterday 3 small meals. One of bloodworms and 2 of peas because he wasn't eating very much of them, so I gave him 2 meals of it and he ate a total of 3 peas yesterday between the 2 meals, plus the bloodworms. I might just have to feed him 3 small meals a day until he get's stronger.
0morrokh said:
I am sooo glad to hear that!! So many Bettas have been sick around here lately so it is so good to hear that they still have the fight in them. Royell is one amazing Betta.
Thanks Omorrokh!! I am so ecstatic about this. Natalie

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom