Royal Whiptail Catfish

Discussion in 'Pleco - Plecostomus' started by MrPerson, Dec 10, 2012.

1. M

MrPerson New Member Member

Hello, I am thinking of purchasing 6 Royal Whiptail Catfish from my LFS and placing them in my 4ft 350L tank with 3 medium Angelfish, a Black Ghost Knife, 2 Blue Rams, 6 peppered corydoras and 5 head and tail light tetras. My tank is in good condition with good water quality and I am not new to fish keeping. My tank has plenty of drift wood and plants and has algae growing on the side and back of the tank that the fish might like to eat. My problem is that the fish are expensive, and a group of six would cost me $150 and I have heard that they are moderately difficult to keep. I do not want them to die and if anyone has any personal opinions on these fish and their care or any advice I would appreciate it greatly. Thank you very much.

2. RogueAgent94

RogueAgent94 Fishlore VIP Member

Welcome to FishLore! :;toast

I think you should only get one for your tank. I doubt your tank will have enough algae to support six Whiptails. I always had trouble getting them to eat algae wafers or other foods. Good thing you have wood though. They need wood in their tanks. Personally, I would just get one for your tank. They are great little fish and excellent algae cleaners!

3. Y

Yeoy Well Known Member Member

I agree with Rogue. Don't rush in, have all your algae gone in a week then have 6 starving fish. Save your money, get 1. It is a lot easier to get more than get less :)

4. OP
    OP
    M

Thank you for your advice. I dont want to spend lots of money only to kill off all the fish. I think i will just purchase one. They are great looking fish though. Do they get along with other pleco type catfish, like maybe bristlenosed catfish? or will they compete for food? Thanks

5. RogueAgent94

They do get along with other plecos most of the time. A BN should be alright but just make sure you have plenty of foods to feed them. Feeding fresh veggies is always a favorite :).

6. OP
    OP
    M

ok. thank you. I have decided I will buy a peppermint bristlenose catfish instead. Thank you for your advice. Does anyone know how many I would be able to keep in my tank? I have plenty of driftwood, rocks and plants with many places to hide. Thank you.

7. RogueAgent94

Oh, those are nice too! You must have a good LFS. I wouldn't keep more than four in your tank. If you can, get a male and two females. They breed like rabbits!

8. OP
    OP
    M

Awesome. I really love the small white spots and the white edged fins of the Peppermint Bristlenose Catfish and they are really cheap where I live at only $12 for a 6cm fish. That would be awesome if they breed. I would love to have tiny peppermints all through my tank. Thank you for all you help Rogue Agent

9. RogueAgent94

You're very welcome. But be sure that you have a good source to get rid of them once they start breeding. They are quite prolific.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice