Royal pleco

1. A

Alex126 Valued Member Member

Hi! I have a 29 gallon tank. Wich is the home to one royal pleco one gourami one molly and 3 neon tetras. The pleco is 3inches right now and in the future I heard they get really big. Any Idea why fish would be good with a full grown pleco because once it gets big I will take out all the fish but te pleco. And keep maby a cupple fish. Do you think this is a good plan or will the pleco not fit in the tank when it gets big??? Tanks!

2. Coradee

Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

A royal pleco can get over a foot long so yes it's going to be far too big for your tank, keeping it too long in a small tank will stunt its growth.

3. OP
    OP
    A

Even if it's by itself in the 29gallon?

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

4. r

renthus Well Known Member Member

Erm, if I remember correctly, a 29g is 12 inches front to back, and 18 inches top to bottom (not accounting the inevitable not being totally full and substrate taking 2 inches). A royal pleco will eventually get to 17 inches (at least according to its caresheet). Take that as you will.

5. Coradee

Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Yes even by itself it will be too big

6. OP
    OP
    A

Ok then I might jut wait till it gets about 5 inches and then sell it. Any idea where?

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

7. Castiel*

Castiel* Well Known Member Member

Post him up on Craigslist if you want to sell locally! Otherwise some Fish Stores may take him in for store credit. But as far as them outright purchasing him they most likely won't give you any cash.