Royal Pleco after Ich!

Mick Mann

Valued Member
Reaction score
I recently had a few fish deaths for unknown reasons... A week later white spot shows up on other fish (non on the pleco) so i think that might be why.

On Saturday I put the temp to 31c (as high as my heater goes and the spots dissapeared already but today i noticed my Royal Pleco on the front of the glass and his little belly looks very drawn in, as do his eyes somewhat. I have a lump of drift wood and a small piece of bog wood which i know they need but is this normal for them? What else can i do?

Cheers

AlyeskaGirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Plecos with sunken belly means they are not getting enough food. Pretty much starving. This is why when you purchase a pleco you make sure they have a round belly and not sunken in.

He needs besides driftwood is algae wafers, sinking shrimp pellots and other foods that sink to the bottom.

Theman1

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I had a royal pleco that died on me about 5 months ago. I had him for almost a year and everything was going great. One day he just stopped eating. I tried everything but couldn't save him. Usually when it gets to the point that the eyes are starting to sink in ,its most likely he wont make it. Just keep trying!

delta5

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
If need be, you can force feed. Grind up his food with skinned, de-seeded cucumber, and mix in some garlic and freeze dried shrimp.

I don't remember what kind of fish it was but my uncle rigged a large tote as a hospital tank. He'd mix in the food to the tote and used a small water pump to pump the water through a small hose and into the fish's mouth as he held it. I want to say it was a small wild caught stingray.

Delaneyw

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Try some fresh veggies. It might take him a while to realize it's food, but he should.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom