Royal Gramma and Clownfish occelaris odd relationship? - maybe bad?

oscarmk

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hi all,

So I've had a clownfish Occelaris in my biocube 29 g for about 8 months now, and my royal gramma for about 7 months. They have always played nice together, but now the royal gramma is almost twice as big as the clown. While the clown is almost ALWAYS hanging near the Royal Gramma like if they were best buds, I have noticed the Royal Gramma is beginning not to like this so much, and he will sometimes open his big mouth and threaten the clown into a corner, he never ever actually touches him but he threatens him, when this happens the clown twitches kinda like if it was showing submission to a female clownfish occelaris, but he does not seem to be bothered by it, after the gramma closes his mouth he returns to following the Royal Gramma around, like if they were a mated pair. The clownfish shows zero visible signs of stress, and his physique is picture perfect.

Is this behavior odd?, could it eventually stress the clown or could the gramma end up attacking the clown?. I am trying to avoid taking the royal gramma out since I really like him. So I was thinking about adding for my third and last fish, a clownfish occelaris so it mates with the other one. Although I would prefer to add something different, unless this is needed.

What should I do?

Thank you,

-Oscar

mangups

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hi all,

So I've had a clownfish Occelaris in my biocube 29 g for about 8 months now, and my royal gramma for about 7 months. They have always played nice together, but now the royal gramma is almost twice as big as the clown. While the clown is almost ALWAYS hanging near the Royal Gramma like if they were best buds, I have noticed the Royal Gramma is beginning not to like this so much, and he will sometimes open his big mouth and threaten the clown into a corner, he never ever actually touches him but he threatens him, when this happens the clown twitches kinda like if it was showing submission to a female clownfish occelaris, but he does not seem to be bothered by it, after the gramma closes his mouth he returns to following the Royal Gramma around, like if they were a mated pair. The clownfish shows zero visible signs of stress, and his physique is picture perfect.

Is this behavior odd?, could it eventually stress the clown or could the gramma end up attacking the clown?. I am trying to avoid taking the royal gramma out since I really like him. So I was thinking about adding for my third and last fish, a clownfish occelaris so it mates with the other one. Although I would prefer to add something different, unless this is needed.

What should I do?

Thank you,

-Oscar
That is fine oscar.. my clown fish does hang out with the mandarin. he will literally get on his back. sometime he will tag along the Royal Gramma too... not to worry about..it is all good.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom