Rotten egg smell when I gravel vac..

Davidh9054

Ok so the past week it seems like my tank is recycling. I have had constantly .25-.5 ammonia, .25 nitrites and nitrates I haven’t really been testing. I have a 20 gallon tank with an AC50 and a Walmart HOB filter not sure what kind. Stocked with 10 harlequin rasbora, 6 corys, a dwarf gourami and a bristle nose pleco. I know my tank is a little overstocked at the moment but I haven’t had an issue with it up till now. I have a 4-5 Anubias, 3 Amazon swords, a bunch of s. repens, some water wisteria, some rótala, a bunch of crypts and some hygrophila corymbosa compacta ohh and a bunch of frogbit and red root floaters. I noticed the ammoni and nitrite spike after I added the red root floaters and the frogbit. Should I be worried about it or is there something wrong?

BigManAquatics

Probably a combo of broken down leftover food and broken down fish poop. Plecos poop a lot. Thats really the only tanks i have that smell like that when i geavel vac, the ones i have my bn plecos in.

Davidh9054

Probably a combo of broken down leftover food and broken down fish poop. Plecos poop a lot. Thats really the only tanks i have that smell like that when i geavel vac, the ones i have my bn plecos in.
Thank goodness I thought it might’ve been what caused my tanks cycle to mess up.. but come to think of it I cleaned my filter sponges last week with tap water they were filthy.. I wanted to change the sponges to something more coarse, would now be a good time to do it?

BigManAquatics

Thank goodness I thought it might’ve been what caused my tanks cycle to mess up.. but come to think of it I cleaned my filter sponges last week with tap water they were filthy.. I wanted to change the sponges to something more coarse, would now be a good time to do it?
Maybe. But i would do 1 at a time normally. Same with cleaning. I been dealing with that lately myself as it has been awhile and the sponges been so filthy. I try to alternate every couple weeks.

Davidh9054

Maybe. But i would do 1 at a time normally. Same with cleaning. I been dealing with that lately myself as it has been awhile and the sponges been so filthy. I try to alternate every couple weeks.
Yea I’m probably going to do one this today and the second filter in a couple weeks.

WRWAquarium

Rinsing your sponges under tap water will probably be what caused your ammonia and nitrite spike. Chlorine kills bacteria.

People use tap water if the filter media is very well established. Even then I wouldnt risk it personally.

Squeeze out the sponges in a bucket of your aqurium water.

Your right about replacing sponges slowly. Give the new ones time to build the bacteria colony.

:)

Davidh9054

Rinsing your sponges under tap water will probably be what caused your ammonia and nitrite spike. Chlorine kills bacteria.

Squeeze out the sponges in a bucket of your aqurium water.

Your right about replacing sponges slowly. Give the new ones time to build the bacteria colony.

:)
I was thinking of adding some safe start to try and neutralize some of the ammonia or should I just leave it be and keep doing the water changes?

WRWAquarium

Not sure the safe start will help to detoxify ammonia and nitrite but it won't hurt to add it as it should in theory boost your good bacteria.

Seachem prime will detoxify them though if you dose higher with water changes as your dechlorinator.

Your numbers aren't too high so it's only a small spike by the looks and water changes will be needed but will soon get it back to fully cycled.

Davidh9054

Not sure the safe start will help to detoxify ammonia and nitrite but it won't hurt to add it as it should in theory boost your good bacteria.

Seachem prime will detoxify them though if you dose higher with water changes as your dechlorinator.

Your numbers aren't too high so it's only a small spike by the looks and water changes will be needed but will soon get it back to fully cycled.
Like 3 or 4 days ago I was in shock the ammonia and nitrites were through the roof. The ammonia was like 8ppm and nitrites was 5ppm I immediately did an 80% water change. The next day I did another 80% water change then everyday after that I have been doing 50% water changes.

WRWAquarium

Well done catching the spike and acting quick!

Big water changes was the right thing to do.

Davidh9054

Well done catching the spike and acting quick!

Big water changes was the right thing to do.
Thanks luckily all my fish have survived. My biggest Cory was acting kind of weird the other day swimming in a weird motion like if it was drunk or something but now it seems fine.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Davidh9054
Replies
Views
Trekker1125
Replies
Views
Moxri
Replies
Views