Rotkeil Pair Issue Help

Discussion in 'American Cichlids' started by bolivianbaby, Jan 7, 2013.

1. bolivianbabyFishlore LegendMember

I moved my pair of heros sp. rotkeil from a 55g to a 75g. Then my male started harassing my female, constantly chasing her to where she couldn't even come out and eat.

I have moved my male to my 90g with my veija synspilum, but I would love to have my pair in the same tank. These fish are some of my favs.

Any ideas on whether or not the 90g may help with the aggression from my male? I've attached pics of the 75g in case I need to re-aquascape. It's difficult to find caves large enough for these 2, but I will do whatever I need to.

Attached Files:

2. RogueAgent94Fishlore VIPMember

Hi,

Sounds like you need to teach your boy a lesson! No beating up on girlies lol.

I would say you need to rescape the tank. You don't have enough decorations and such that will break his line of sight. If you can get some tall plastic plants and large pieces of driftwood to make two or three divisions in the tank I bet they'd behave better. And you should probably try to put in at least one cave on either side of the tank.

3. bolivianbabyFishlore LegendMember

Thanks, Rogue! I was wondering if aquascaping was an issue, but it can be so hard to find caves large enough as I'm sure you know:)

Will work on some tall plastic plants. Are you thinking to put the driftwood front to back?

4. RogueAgent94Fishlore VIPMember

It probably isn't the only cause of the aggression but it is most likely the main cause.

Not really, I was thinking more of a couple large ones in the middle with plants in/around them. If you take a look at bankruptjojo's video at around 6:30 you'll see he has a large piece of wood in his tank. Something like that would do the trick!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HkEKUhZX0o&feature=player_embedded

5. bolivianbabyFishlore LegendMember

That tank is incredible! Will work on the rescaping this weekend.

Thank you so much!

6. RogueAgent94Fishlore VIPMember

No problem :). Post pictures when you're done! Also you may want to let the female establish herself in the tank for a week before adding the male after the rescape.