Rotala rotundifolia lost all its leaves

Auroraaaa

I setup a new 10 gallon dirted tank a week ago and the rotala has been losing all its leaves except for the ones on the very top. It puts out new side shoots but all the old leaves melted off, leaving just the stem and the new growth. Could this be happening because it hasn't developed a root system yet? I have my lighting on 840 lumens for 10 hours everyday. Is my light not bright enough?

Rye3434

Could you take a picture? It may be emersed (out of water) growth melting or it may be due to your lighting

Upvote 0

Auroraaaa

Could you take a picture? It may be emersed (out of water) growth melting or it may be due to your lighting
I have other plants in my aquarium and all of them are doing really well. The rotala is the olnly one with all its leaves melting.
Here's the picture

1626979443788.png

Upvote 0

Cherryshrimp420

Light is too weak. 840 lumens is very low, you may need to 2x or 4x that amount

Upvote 0

Auroraaaa

Light is too weak. 840 lumens is very low, you may need to 2x or 4x that amount
I made the light brighter, is 1400 lumens enough? the PAR is 92 btw

Upvote 0

CrackerboxPalace

How far did you measure the PAR from?

Upvote 0

Auroraaaa

How far did you measure the PAR from?
I don't really know tbh it just says 92 PAR in air

Upvote 0

CrackerboxPalace

I don't really know tbh it just says 92 PAR in air
i don't understand. Do you have a distance that the PAR was measured from? like 12 or 24 inches?

Upvote 0

Cherryshrimp420

I made the light brighter, is 1400 lumens enough? the PAR is 92 btw
Still low but better than before!

Upvote 0

Mudminnow

If you are getting 92 PAR under the water where the plants are growing, that is high light. If it is just 92 PAR right next to the bulbs/diodes, it is probably substantially less by the time in goes through the water.

Upvote 0

Auroraaaa

If you are getting 92 PAR under the water where the plants are growing, that is high light. If it is just 92 PAR right next to the bulbs/diodes, it is probably substantially less by the time in goes through the water.
I had another light that was 72 PAR at 12 inches and I know this one is brighter so it's probably around 80 PAR?

Upvote 0

Mudminnow

Here's a nice article that can help with information on PAR values: How to read PAR tables - The 2Hr Aquarist .

If I understand you correctly, and you're saying you are getting 70+ PAR 12" under water; then I think you have medium-high light in your 10 gallon. If though you are saying you have 70+ PAR 12" from the light through the air, then I would guess you may have low-medium light in your 10 gallon (at least near the bottom).

Upvote 0

Cherryshrimp420

I had another light that was 72 PAR at 12 inches and I know this one is brighter so it's probably around 80 PAR?
Are you measuring under water or in air?

Upvote 0

Auroraaaa

Here's a nice article that can help with information on PAR values: How to read PAR tables - The 2Hr Aquarist .

If I understand you correctly, and you're saying you are getting 70+ PAR 12" under water; then I think you have medium-high light in your 10 gallon. If though you are saying you have 70+ PAR 12" from the light through the air, then I would guess you may have low-medium light in your 10 gallon (at least near the bottom).
it says PAR 95 at 12 in. in air and LUX 6300 at 12 in. in air

Upvote 0

Cherryshrimp420

it says PAR 95 at 12 in. in air and LUX 6300 at 12 in. in air

Yeah that's very different from under water. The actual par values your plants are receiving at the bottom of the tank is probably 1/4 or 1/5 of that value

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
coolio3991
  • Question
Replies
Views
Wrona0306
  • Question
Replies
Views