Rotala Rotundifolia is carpeting

Berryblue

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hi planted tank friends,

I've had my rotala rotundifolia for a couple months and I am finally start to see some growth after adding c02 and adding a better light. I was originally getting leggy growth and I have been clipping the tops and propagating them. But now as I am seeing carpeting growth versus growth upwards. Is that normal or does it mean that I need to add more light duration? I am running my light at around 6-7hrs and I am dosing Thrive twice a week, as well as using root tabs. As always, I am in a daily war against BBA but I am in better shape than a month ago, however some of the taller stems have BBA in the lower half of their stem. Here's a pic.

IMG_9642.jpg

AquEric

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Berryblue said:
I just read your "still awake" post. Did you not go to bed? Haha. Last week I did a dosing of 50% hydrogen peroxide and flourish excel and it did wonders. I will do another dose this wknd when I do my water change.
Na I have insomnia bad how do you like the excel I'm switching from leaf zone it's ok but I think my plants could do bo

OP
Berryblue

Berryblue

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
The combo of hydrogen peroxide and flourish excel worked like magic. It went away in a week in the places that I spot treated. The challenge is getting into all the nooks and crannies and whether it will return if I don't fix the underlying problem.

Mike1995

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I've had my rotala do that as well. a lot. It started carpeting all over the tank in fact, and eventually growing upwards. it was like a vine almost. just spread everywhere. I actually cut a lot of it out and moved it to my 90g and its starting to do it in there as well.

LukeCasteel

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
that is absolutely fascinating to me, i have never seen a rotala carpet!
very beautiful plants you have.
and good luck with the BBA.
i am sure you will find what works for you :)

OP
Berryblue

Berryblue

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Mike1995 said:
I've had my rotala do that as well. a lot. It started carpeting all over the tank in fact, and eventually growing upwards. it was like a vine almost. just spread everywhere. I actually cut a lot of it out and moved it to my 90g and its starting to do it in there as well.
I see, at least this is happening to someone else. I was wondering if it was doing this because it was deficient in something specific (which could still be the case). I am hoping for some height in the future.

OP
Berryblue

Berryblue

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
LukeCasteel said:
that is absolutely fascinating to me, i have never seen a rotala carpet!
very beautiful plants you have.
and good luck with the BBA.
i am sure you will find what works for you :)
Yes, it is not what I expected. I planted all the stems in the background and it has slowly been inching its way all the way to the foreground. I also have situations when I snip the tops of the stem, the offshoots grow horizontally with roots. So, I will snip those and plant them in the substrate too.

New Threads