Rotala indica?

Analisemcg

I bought what was labeled as Rotala indica today. But when I Google Rotala indica what seems like 2 different plants come up? Which one is it.. or is there something I’m missing?

(I got the reddish one)
(Ps.. same goes for Rotala rotundifolia)

Attachments

• CBF1BB0D-323D-4C07-83D0-FD77E1B8DD06.png
    CBF1BB0D-323D-4C07-83D0-FD77E1B8DD06.png
    619.6 KB · Views: 26
  • 6FD14317-1744-48E0-A25B-66D19F305777.png
    6FD14317-1744-48E0-A25B-66D19F305777.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 27
Solution
In my experience, Rotala indica is a bit more rare than Rotala rotundifolia. In fact, I have bought several plants labeled as R. indica over the years, but I've only ever received R. rotundifolia. This is not really a concern, as R. rotundifolia is one of the hardiest, most forgiving stem plants out there.

The reason it seems like you're seeing two different plants is that R. rotundifolia looks completely different in different conditions. It has rounder leaves when grown out of the water, and is more red and compact in high light.

R. indica changes too, but not so much. It keeps rounder leaves, even under water. And, it stays a bit greener, even in high light.

Your first picture...

Mudminnow

In my experience, Rotala indica is a bit more rare than Rotala rotundifolia. In fact, I have bought several plants labeled as R. indica over the years, but I've only ever received R. rotundifolia. This is not really a concern, as R. rotundifolia is one of the hardiest, most forgiving stem plants out there.

The reason it seems like you're seeing two different plants is that R. rotundifolia looks completely different in different conditions. It has rounder leaves when grown out of the water, and is more red and compact in high light.

R. indica changes too, but not so much. It keeps rounder leaves, even under water. And, it stays a bit greener, even in high light.

Your first picture could be either plant, as they look similar in their emersed state. But, the plant on the right is clearly R. rotundifolia.

Upvote 1
Solution

Analisemcg

Your first picture could be either plant, as they look similar in their emersed state. But, the plant on the right is clearly R. rotundifolia.
Woah, I would’ve never guessed they were the same. Thank you.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
Passionfish
Replies
Views
Spudsssy
  • Question
Replies
Views