Rotala In A Low-tech Set-up

FlutterFish

I've been looking into stem plants, and was wondering if rotala rotundifolia/indica would be okay for my 10 gallon set-up. I've got a Finnex Stingray, so about 20-30 PAR I guess, no Co2.

jmaldo

I have the rotala rotundifolia/indica in my 55. It grows like crazy. Have to trim every 3 -4 weeks. In fact next weekend. I use a Stingray also with root tabs, ferts and excel. No CO2 injection for me.

FlutterFish

Really? Do you have any idea if there's a difference in needs for indica and rotundifolia? I like both, but I've got conflicting info on it...

jmaldo

No idea, just a newbie here. In fact it was sold to me as a ludwigia repens. But a member here pointed out it was a Rotala Indica. Here is a pic in June Before and After. It's the center plant.

June Before Gardening.jpg

June After Gardening.jpg

Hope this helps.

FlutterFish

Looks like rotundifolia, definitely. Has it had any problems shedding its leaves or so? I'm kind of iffy about that part...

jmaldo

No problems, No shedding whatsoever. As mentioned it grows like crazy. I have replanted some of the trimmings all "OK", even traded some to my LFS. I have had to trim it again since the June pic and will again on Sat.

FlutterFish

Lol that's a lot of rotala. The only plant that went crazy like that was when I put water wisteria in high-tech.

Great! I'll order a bunch or two from buceplant and see how it goes. Thank!

Jocelyn Adelman

Great plant, rather easy to grow. Higher phosphates and lower nitrates get some amazing colors from it.
Rotala rotundifolia is often sold incorrectly as rotala indica.

FlutterFish

I'm buying from buceplant - should I buy rotala rotundifolia red or rotala indica?

Jocelyn Adelman

Rotundifolia.... indica is a very different plant... I think the common name for indica is Indian toothcup

jmaldo

Rotundifolia.... indica is a very different plant... I think the common name for indica is Indian toothcup
Ok, now I am confused. Lol
Which plant do I have see earlier
posted pics.

Jocelyn Adelman

Jmaldo has rotala rotundifolia.

This is rotala indica
:

This is rotundifolia
:

One more... this is my rotundifolia in a tank with low phosphates and relatively higher nitrates, working on raising the phosphates slowly and note some of the tips are beginning to color up

44abbf732da3accd6f058cbbb0edf0fc.jpg

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
Passionfish
Replies
Views
86 ssinit
  • Question
Replies
Views