Rosy Red Minnows

Discussion in 'Pond Fish' started by Lynn78too, Apr 23, 2018.

1. Lynn78tooWell Known MemberMember

So I think I've decided on rosy reds for my deck pond. How quickly do they multiply? I had originally thought I'd do guppies but they're not as hardy as as the minnows. Since it will be a species only tank I won't need to worry about them getting other fish sick. I'm going to go out as soon as I'm able to to get some. :)

2. InnoValued MemberMember

I have never had them in my pond, but from what I have read they breed constantly when the temp is between 70 and 80.

3. LorekeeperWell Known MemberMember

They do breed quite a bit from what I've read.

Before you add them to your pond, consider quarantine the lot in a smaller, more manageable tank. It'll be easier to spot any infections or parasites in a tank, and also cheaper to treat 20 gallons of water rather than a 2000 gallon pond.

4. Lynn78tooWell Known MemberMember

Ok, thanks. I knew they bred rapidly but hadn’t realized how much. I may need to reconsider them. Good point about a large vs little area. Mine is going to be a small pond but still. It’s not that difficult to set up my extra tank. Thanks for the info.

5. maggie thecatWell Known MemberMember

Mine didn't breed at all last season, that I could tell. It may have been they were too young. All the babies in my pond were goldfish. (And frogs. Loads of tadpoles.) They did have a pretty high mortality rate. At least half died. A couple that I know of by filter intake. Some because the local big box stock was just that compromised. So take that into consideration when considering stocking.

They are supposed to have the habits of a cichlid when spawning, nesting at the bottom in hollows and so forth. They may raise fewer young if you don't provide that type of an environment .

6. Lynn78tooWell Known MemberMember

I also read that they don’t mature sexually until 1-2 years old. Maybe that’s why. They finish growing within 6 months though. You figure they sell them ASAP, they don’t keep them around for a year or 2.

7. Lynn78tooWell Known MemberMember

Ok, they're $.12. I don't have anything else in there and I'll quarantine them first. If I do decide on something bigger and they get eaten, well, there's a reason they're called feeders. I got 5 of them for now (don't want to spend too much ;)), since they're in a huge tank it's kind of like you get what you get, 1 is a bright orange 3 are a a pretty pinkish color and one looks like a drab bottom feeder. I considered saying I didn't want him but then I realized that he would probably be bought for a feeder and why should he be eaten just because he's ugly? Lol, I'm crazy. I like how they can handle cold and warm water.

8. Lynn78tooWell Known MemberMember

Update on the fish. The fish are in the tank with a water hyacinth and a water lily in a basket that are both in quarantine as well. I find it odd, the 3 pinkish fish stick together but the orange and brown one are on their own, not together, but alone. I may need to go back and make sure I get another orange and ugly to make sure they're not lonely. The orange one is the friendliest and is the first to come out to get food. I jokingly said he's the perfect color for the raccoons to find, my daughter (12 years old) was mortified and surprised at the idea that a raccoon would eat it, my husband said maybe we should make some sort of screen to go over it to protect the fish, yes, he was serious.

9. maggie thecatWell Known MemberMember

The drab looking one is the minnow's natural color, and it's dominant. So bear that in mind if you want colorful fish going forward.

They are a lot of fun though, aren't they? Very lively and personable little fish.

10. Lynn78tooWell Known MemberMember

There was actually a large number of the pink and orange ones and only a few of the drab colors. I'm not too concerned about getting the oranges, it really is a beacon for the raccoons and although I joked about it, I don't want to find that I'm missing all of the fish because I wanted pretty fish.

11. maggie thecatWell Known MemberMember

How deep is your pond going to be? At night, when raccoons do most of their hunting, the fish normally head towards the bottom. You may want to consider putting some clay pots or pvc pieces on the bottom as hides.

12. Lynn78tooWell Known MemberMember

It's not going to be big at all. It's only going to be 50 gallons. I wasn't sure what size would be good and I decided this would a good starter for me. I have some rocks to make little caves on the bottom but I'm wondering if it's a good idea to use them since there is a very good possibility they will have limestone in them and increase the pH. I hadn't thought of using clay pots. I have a bunch and they're cheap at the store.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice