rosy red minnows

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Forums' started by monkeypie102, Dec 27, 2012.

1. monkeypie102

monkeypie102Well Known MemberMember

I know they aren't an obvious choice for a tank as many think they re just a feeder fish, i however have fallin in love with the 3 that has managed to evad my red ear slider, Kapa. So i have decided to setup my 26g bowfront as a species only rosy red minnow tank! However I have a few questions...

I know they can be found just about everywhere in the usa so are the considered tropical or coldwater? Would it be better to keep the tank heated?
    Are they naturally found in strong currents or do they prefer a calm pond enviroment (I plan to use some for mosquito control with my pond in the spring)
    Anth biggest question how many is to many for a 26g bowfront?

The tank mates will be purple mystery snails (that i hope to bred with blues) and ghost shrimp as a cleanup crew

2. Butterfly

ButterflyModeratorModerator Member

Since their minnows I would think cool water would be best with some current. Our local bait shop keeps them that way :)
    Carol

3. OP
    OP
    monkeypie102

To be honest though they are just shipping them to their deaths so one way or another I wouldn't take a bait shops care as ligit... however I have been reading and they can survive up to below freezing temps, amazing really, I guess the care is like any other type of barb/tetra IMO... however how many do you think would fit comfertably in a 26g.. I am not seeing to much info on good tank sizes for them...

4. Jaysee

JayseeFishlore LegendMember

I don't see how one has anything to do with the other.

You can't sell dead fish, and people won't (repeatedly) buy sickly fish, so it's in their best financial interest to provide adequate housing for them. You want to stay in business as a bait shop - you do so by providing top quality baits.

Unheated with good current would be a good setup.

5. Mrs.Price

Mrs.PriceValued MemberMember

I cycled my tank with rosy red's, they are cold water and very much enjoy currents, they are fun little fish, as most minnows are. You can get them probably at any local fish shop, they have them stocked at all of mine. :) I quite like them too, not too colorful, but they have good personalities. All of the ones I purchased were healthy and thrived.

6. RogueAgent94

RogueAgent94Fishlore VIPMember

Rosy Reds are great fish! I agree, they prefer an unheated tank with lots of current. They seem to prefer a sand substrate with some smooth river rocks and tall, grassy plants like Val. They don't seem to like many plants because that cuts down on swimming room.

Mystery snails might not do so well with them because of the lower temp. But many types of Danios and WCMMs would do well with them! If you look on eBay there are a couple people that sell Rosy Reds.

7. Mrs.Price

I kept mine with danios, they seem to enjoy each others company!... but I wouldn't bother with ebay until you look at your LFS, because as far as I know, they are stocked at pretty much every LFS you go to, at least where I'm at.

8. OP
    OP
    monkeypie102

I was planning to keep them at 73* which is 3* higher than suggested from the main rosy minnow site I could find and all my tanks are at that or higher and my Ms are fine...

Right now the tank has black gravel so I should add a tub of sand? And super light plantting... gottcha!

As for buying them petsmart sells them near me for 12ยข each and since I would like species only I was thinking of getting like 20 of them.

9. Jaysee

Starting with 20 is not necessarily a bad idea - they all aren't going to make it, and you'll be able to cull any that show problems or deformities, leaving you with a healthy, nice looking school. I'm not sure how big they get so I don't know what size school you could keep.

10. OP
    OP
    monkeypie102

I think it is between 1.5-2 inches normally but some males can get to 3 inches but not as common...

11. RogueAgent94

RogueAgent94Fishlore VIPMember

You could add sand if you want. Completely up to you.

;D I didn't know you could get them at Petsmart. I may have to look.

12. OP
    OP
    monkeypie102

Yep at mine they are kept next to the feeder goldfish... at least 200+ are crammed in there...

13. Jaysee

Maybe start with 30 then....

14. OP
    OP
    monkeypie102

Okay, you sure that's not too much or is this on the side of caution the some will die? According to aquadvisor (first time i have ever used the site) 20 is pushing it but I think i entered the wrong filters?

15. Mrs.Price

I got 14 to cycle my tank, only 1 was unhealthy and died, which left me with 13 thriving fish, even after the cycle was complete, they all survived. It really depends on the distributor. I'd expect 1 or 2 out of 10 or so to die, unless their tanks are unhealthy (pet shop tanks aren't great to begin with, but some are better than others). I'd say 30 is pushing it and you may end up with more than you bargained for... you can always buy more if you need to... no need to overstock.

16. OP
    OP
    monkeypie102

Yeah I think i will just stick with 20 and add more if needed... my petsmarts fish are really healthy and they sometimes QT before adding them in the tanks... I am thinking of setting it up chiclid(sp?) Style as from what i am reading when the breed they seem to act like convicts and claim caves for nesting :)

17. Jaysee

30 was a joke. the joke was the inference of poor quality because of the quantity ;)

Many are likely to die. There isn't a great deal of concern over their breeding practices and husbandry - like you said, more than 200 in the tank. They are so cheap that even selling them for change they are making money. It's really the luck of the draw, how many will survive.

18. Mrs.Price

I'm afraid there is a good chance that your minnows will get eaten in a chiclid tank... they quite like them!

[video=youtube;6g5pbEPR-u8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6g5pbEPR-u8[/video]

19. OP
    OP
    monkeypie102

No you mistunderstand... I ment I want to set the tank up like it is ment for a chiclid but instead of them i want to put the minnows in it... it seems to me the cave claiming is the same for them both...

20. Mrs.Price

Ahhhhh! I see... my misunderstanding :)

Indeed, they love hidey holes! I had a whole bunch of clay pots for mine and tunnels, they enjoyed it :)

That's what I get for reading too quickly and rushing through a post!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice