Rosy Red Minnows - For Enjoyment.

Discussion in 'Cyprinids (includes Goldfish)' started by Fisker, Jun 27, 2019.

1. Fisker

FiskerValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +257
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    Hello! I have no idea if Rosy Reds are Cyprinids or not, and I don't really have a ton of time to research the name right now. This seems like where they might fit, but if this is in the wrong spot, sorry!

I've got a 10 gallon set up for breeding pest snails to feed my puffer, as well as for housing a few plants and inverts. It runs at room temp (70-74), and has a cycled filter. I was looking around and considered getting some White Clouds to try out, but I didn't really want to spend much more than a couple dollars for a decent sized school. Enter Rosy Reds.

I looked around online and learned that they're actually a variation of Fathead Minnows... which is actually something I've kept before. My dad would use them for fishing on occasion, and I remember keeping a few in a big ole flower pot. Probably like 15 gallons, and it sat outside. Those fish lived for several years, through 100 degree summers and freezing winters. Pretty hardy stuff. I saw that the minimum tank size seems to be 5-10 gallons, so I went to Petsmart and picked up a few. I told her to pick me out 5 or 6 of the healthy looking ones, and I ended up with 10 mixed individuals. I was shooting for 6, as I expected around half to die... now I'm stuck with 10 healthy looking minnows. Some may deteriorate soon, but they look good as of now. They aren't full grown, either - how overstocked am I? Should I wait till they sex out and then keep a certain M/F ratio? I don't mind having to keep up with water changes until they're mature enough to sex, if I decide to go that route. I'd like to see some breeding behavior, even if I don't get any fry. I find it fascinating.

2. RyanC14

RyanC14Valued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +195
    Experience:
    1 year
    They're a little messy, but something like two 50% water changes weekly should work.

3. OP
    OP
    Fisker

Ratings:
    +257
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    So you think I'd be okay to keep all 10? I don't mind thinning out the crowd, but I feel like I'm gonna have a tough time to find someone that'll take them. Maybe my LFS, but they'll just go back into a feeder tank.

As far as the two 50%'s a week, that's not a problem.

4. RyanC14

RyanC14Valued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +195
    Experience:
    1 year
    You should probably plan on upgrading to a larger tank eventually or rehoming a few of them, but they should be fine for now. Maybe they could be a good excuse to start a pond

5. OP
    OP
    Fisker

Ratings:
    +257
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    I wish! I live with my parents for now, and will be moving into an apartment soon. A pond just isn't in the cards for a few years!

I'm probably sticking with the 10 gallon, or at most a 20 long at some point. I'm all good with rehoming some of them, though!

6. OP
    OP
    Fisker

Ratings:
    +257
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    Just thought I'd share the set-up, now that it's settled in a bit. All 10 minnows have made it so far, and only one seems to be doing somewhat poorly. He's alive, eating, and doesn't seem super stressed, but he's hiding a lot more than the other 9. He is also the smallest of them, so possibly it's just his smaller size.

FW 28.

7. OP
    OP
    Fisker

Ratings:
    +257
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    I ended up losing one minnow yesterday. I think he died from ammonia burn, as his gills had been particularly red the entire time I had him - all fish show signs of ammonia burn, while the tank is actually testing at 0 PPM ammonia and nitrite. The other 9 seem to be doing okay.

8. happyscrub

happyscrubValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +33
    that setup is find but what would be better would be more cover. The more cover spots you have, the more they all can claim a "home". They probably all hang out under that drift wood and the males might fight over the tiny spots to breed.

9. OP
    OP
    Fisker

Ratings:
    +257
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    Actually, no, they don't all hang out under the wood. There's rarely one under there, actually.

I do agree that they could use more caves, but these fish aren't really looking for places to hide.