Rosy Red Minnows As Pets?

Vancouver Mike

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
So after wanting a tank for years I finally got one last month and wanting to put some fish in I got some 20 cent rosy reds. 5 of them. These little guys have been very entertaining! It seems they are very playful as I watch them swim against the bubbles and then let they ride the bubbles back up, over and over again! Then the runt of them is constantly chasing the other minnows away from his little leaves that he cutlery peaks out from.
Also seem affectionate to each other as I've watched them gently caress (can't think of a better word) each other which is very different from runt running everyone off! Also see them gently clean my GouramI who doesent mind!
They are so active and personable that I am gonna keep them. I was going to return them cuz I didn't think that they fit in with the "look" I wanted in my 65 gallon but after the last month of owning them and my gf prob wouldn't let me get rid of an anyway...they have been the most fun of all the fish to watch!

Skavatar

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
you should look into buy the large jug of Prime, more economical in the long run, cheaper per oz than those small bottles.

full.jpg

OP
Vancouver Mike

Vancouver Mike

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Vancouver Mike said:
So after wanting a tank for years I finally got one last month and wanting to put some fish in I got some 20 cent rosy reds. 5 of them. These little guys have been very entertaining! It seems they are very playful as I watch them swim against the bubbles and then let they ride the bubbles back up, over and over again! Then the runt of them is constantly chasing the other minnows away from his little leaves that he cutlery peaks out from.
Also seem affectionate to each other as I've watched them gently caress (can't think of a better word) each other which is very different from runt running everyone off! Also see them gently clean my GouramI who doesent mind!
They are so active and personable that I am gonna keep them. I was going to return them cuz I didn't think that they fit in with the "look" I wanted in my 65 gallon but after the last month of owning them and my gf prob wouldn't let me get rid of an anyway...they have been the most fun of all the fish to watch!
A Lost Raccoon said:
Sounds beautiful
Send pic pls :3
A Lost Raccoon said:
Sounds beautiful
Send pic pls :3
20190204_130423_1.gif
20190204_130423_1.gif

Sheryl

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Vancouver Mike said:
I have them as pets in 2 different places. Got some originally to put in new tank to "test" it before adding other fish. 5 of 7 still great and got more for 20 gallon barrel pond. Actually set up a new 20 gallon for the first ones and added others...White Clouds, Zebra Danios, and another that I cannot ever remember the name of. LOL Little orange and yellow tetra. They all are active and get along great...
not to mention very entertaining! There are 21 altogether in 20 gallon tall with a few snails. I know it is officially "overstocked" but I have lots of plants and do water changes evey other day, usually. I wish I had added 4 of each instead of 5 so I could add a few guppy males for more color, but I didn't think of it before. I have an all male guppy tank which is also quite active, a 3.5 gallon with 2 female guppies, and a 5 gallon guppy fry tank. Probably gonna have to set up another tank for guppy babies when they get older. LOL And I'm just waiting for one of the females to drop more. It's hard not to take them out. I have 2 other 20 gallon long community tanks as well. And today is a WC day and all I've done so far is the barrel pond, so off I go. Have fun with your Rosies
Love your setup.

potter

Reaction score
I love Rosies! I've 16 currently. 5 of them are 4-5 years old and still going strong! Some of the older ones are now huge about 3-4" long and their colour deepens in to a nice orangy colour.

I originally bought mine for the 20 gallon waterlily tub outside because of mosquito larvae issues but they were so cute and turned so beautiful I bought a 40 gallon to overwinter them inside and got more to get a nice school going.

The others are younger but they all get along very well. No bullies even when I had just 5 and very playful with each other. They don't even fight when it comes to food. They're in a 40 gallon with sand at the bottom, lots of caves and plastic plants and some marimo moss balls.

I've never really lost any of them due to illness except a few that I think was due to old age because they weren't sick. Even the new ones that I bought seemed a little iffy made it after a few days in my main tank. I've never quarantined because they all came from the same store.

I do put them in a zipped up thermal bag as soon as I paid for them and go straight home. I also feed them garlic soaked food as soon as I get home while they are still in the bag.

Enjoy them! They are so underrated. Petstore staffs gets a shock when they find out that I'm buying them to keep as pets because they probably think they're so ugly but they're so cute and full of personality once they know they're in a safe environment! Mine will eat out of my hands!

Mine hasn't bred yet or they have eaten the eggs. Either way I do not want them to breed as I don't have more tanks to put them in lol. The only thing is with rosies I don't rehome them because I'm afraid someone will use them as baits or feed them to a turtle or something.

OP
Vancouver Mike

Vancouver Mike

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
potter said:
I love Rosies! I've 16 currently. 5 of them are 4-5 years old and still going strong! Some of the older ones are now huge about 3-4" long and their colour deepens in to a nice orangy colour.

I originally bought mine for the 20 gallon waterlily tub outside because of mosquito larvae issues but they were so cute and turned so beautiful I bought a 40 gallon to overwinter them inside and got more to get a nice school going.

The others are younger but they all get along very well. No bullies even when I had just 5 and very playful with each other. They don't even fight when it comes to food. They're in a 40 gallon with sand at the bottom, lots of caves and plastic plants and some marimo moss balls.

I've never really lost any of them due to illness except a few that I think was due to old age because they weren't sick. Even the new ones that I bought seemed a little iffy made it after a few days in my main tank. I've never quarantined because they all came from the same store.

I do put them in a zipped up thermal bag as soon as I paid for them and go straight home. I also feed them garlic soaked food as soon as I get home while they are still in the bag.

Enjoy them! They are so underrated. Petstore staffs gets a shock when they find out that I'm buying them to keep as pets because they probably think they're so ugly but they're so cute and full of personality once they know they're in a safe environment! Mine will eat out of my hands!

Mine hasn't bred yet or they have eaten the eggs. Either way I do not want them to breed as I don't have more tanks to put them in lol. The only thing is with rosies I don't rehome them because I'm afraid someone will use them as baits or feed them to a turtle or something.
Ya I kept mine for 6 months, and they were full of personality! I was able to transfers mine into our pond outside and they have been doing well for the last few months, not sure if they'll survive winter but I checked on them a few days ago and they were good

New Threads