Rosy Red Minnows As Pets?

Discussion in 'Cyprinids (includes Goldfish)' started by Vancouver Mike, Feb 14, 2019.

1. Vancouver Mike

Vancouver MikeValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +81
    Experience:
    Just started
    So after wanting a tank for years I finally got one last month and wanting to put some fish in I got some 20 cent rosy reds. 5 of them. These little guys have been very entertaining! It seems they are very playful as I watch them swim against the bubbles and then let they ride the bubbles back up, over and over again! Then the runt of them is constantly chasing the other minnows away from his little leaves that he cutlery peaks out from.
    Also seem affectionate to each other as I've watched them gently caress (can't think of a better word) each other which is very different from runt running everyone off! Also see them gently clean my Gourami who doesent mind!
    They are so active and personable that I am gonna keep them. I was going to return them cuz I didn't think that they fit in with the "look" I wanted in my 65 gallon but after the last month of owning them and my gf prob wouldn't let me get rid of an anyway...they have been the most fun of all the fish to watch!

2. A Lost Raccoon

A Lost RaccoonNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +18
    Sounds beautiful
    Send pic pls :3

3. Skavatar

SkavatarWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +2,497
    Experience:
    2 years
    you should look into buy the large jug of Prime, more economical in the long run, cheaper per oz than those small bottles.

[​IMG]

4. OP
    OP
    Vancouver Mike

Vancouver MikeValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +81
    Experience:
    Just started
    20190204_130423_1.20190204_130423_1.

5. A Lost Raccoon

A Lost RaccoonNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +18
    Daaaamn that does look beautiful

6. Sheryl

SherylValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +29
    Experience:
    1 year
    I have them as pets in 2 different places. Got some originally to put in new tank to "test" it before adding other fish. 5 of 7 still great and got more for 20 gallon barrel pond. Actually set up a new 20 gallon for the first ones and added others...White Clouds, Zebra Danios, and another that I cannot ever remember the name of. LOL Little orange and yellow tetra. They all are active and get along great...
    not to mention very entertaining! There are 21 altogether in 20 gallon tall with a few snails. I know it is officially "overstocked" but I have lots of plants and do water changes evey other day, usually. I wish I had added 4 of each instead of 5 so I could add a few guppy males for more color, but I didn't think of it before. I have an all male guppy tank which is also quite active, a 3.5 gallon with 2 female guppies, and a 5 gallon guppy fry tank. Probably gonna have to set up another tank for guppy babies when they get older. LOL And I'm just waiting for one of the females to drop more. It's hard not to take them out. I have 2 other 20 gallon long community tanks as well. And today is a WC day and all I've done so far is the barrel pond, so off I go. Have fun with your Rosies
    Love your setup.