20 Gallon Tank Rosy loaches vs oto cats

Matt11711

Hi, I've got my 20L that I'm actually pretty happy with right now. I have a clown pleco who I never see an honestly it doesn't move at all, just sits on the driftwood all the time. And I have 7 cherry shrimp an then 2 nerites and a bunch of pest snails. My plan is to wait a couple months for the shrimp colony to build up before adding 8 celestial pearl danios. And then to round out the tank I think I want 6-8 of either a dwarf oto or a rosy loach.

So my question is, does anyone have any recommendations? Is that a good stocking level? I know rosy loaches are from the same area as CPDs, but they also seem really difficult to find in the US so it might not be a choice anyway.

Fisch

Not sure, but 20l is ~5gl. With the poop heavy Pleco you may reach your stocking level faster than expected. He is pretty borderline for this size tank.
Do you enjoy your Pleco? Otherwise you may want to re-home him, that will give you a bit more freedom. Of Yes, at times it flies along the countertop, but in general it you can always go with a bigger tank....

Upvote 0

Matt11711

Not sure, but 20l is ~5gl. With the poop heavy Pleco you may reach your stocking level faster than expected. He is pretty borderline for this size tank.
Do you enjoy your Pleco? Otherwise you may want to re-home him, that will give you a bit more freedom. Of Yes, at times it flies along the countertop, but in general it you can always go with a bigger tank....
20L as in 20 long, my bad. Thread title is accurate when it says 20 gallon.

Upvote 0

Otocinclus13

I'm going to have to vote for otocinclus. I've been keeping fish for several years, and they are one of my all-time favorite species. They're quick, busy, adorable as heck with those big eyes, and best of all they are killer algae eaters. They're especially good at getting algae off plants, which helps the plants stay healthier, but also clean the glass, driftwood, rocks, heater, filter, etc.

To be fair, I've never kept rosy loaches, so I can't speak to them personality-wise, but they don't clean algae like the otos, so my vote stands

Edit: I did some quick research on rosy loaches, and it looks like they can be effective at eating longer algae, although they leave the normal green algae alone. Just had to check my knowledge here!

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
smee82
Replies
Views
MJohnson
Replies
Views
JuiceBox52