Rosy barbs in pond?

Chris87

I want to get rosy barbs for my pond that gets about 5-8 hours of sun a day and is 145 gallons. Do you think they would do fine during the winter (I am in zone 7) Where I live it the air temp usually does not get below 20 degrees. I like rosy barbs the best but If that doesn't work I was thinking maybe gold barbs, ricefish, or white cloud mountain minnows. What do you think?

RedOnion

White cloud minnows may be a better option then rosy barbs as they can withstand colder temps better imo

Upvote 0

Chris87

Would the rosy barbs survive?

Upvote 0

Chris87

I like those but the only place i can find them is Petco where they are very unhealthy. I might try it with the rosy barbs with a small pond heater to keep it a little higher. Would gold barbs do better?

Upvote 0

RedOnion

rosy barbs can withstand colder temps more then gold barbs accoriding to info, so if I had to go with one I would go with the rosys. If you can get a heater I think you should be alright. How long do the cold days last usually?

Upvote 0

Chris87

From December to February then it gets about 40 degrees in the pond.

Upvote 0

RedOnion

honestly, idk I wouldnt not risk it. ive heard that colder temps for warm watered fish can make them susceptible to diseases more and have a weakened immune system if it stays for a long period.

Upvote 0

Kribensis27

I would say that WCMM would be a better choice here.

The rosies could probably handle the temperatures, but likely wouldn't do as well. I know someone who lived in zone 7 for a while, and he tried rosy barbs in an outdoor pond. They did fine, and kept up a decent population, but there was always some deaths over the winter.

WCMM, however, are incredibly hardy. I've even seen them survive outside over the winter here in zone 4a!

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Noroomforshoe
  • Question
  • Nedge
  • Ponds
Replies
Views
Falena
  • Question