Rosy barbs in pond?

Chris87

I want to get rosy barbs for my pond that gets about 5-8 hours of sun a day and is 145 gallons. Do you think they would do fine during the winter (I am in zone 7) Where I live it the air temp usually does not get below 20 degrees. I like rosy barbs the best but If that doesn't work I was thinking maybe gold barbs, ricefish, or white cloud mountain minnows. What do you think?

Chris87

Would the rosy barbs survive?

marmaaa

Chris87 said:
Would the rosy barbs survive?
tbh I dont know if they would. they might but they are not usually cold water fish. What about rosy red minnows?

Chris87

I like those but the only place i can find them is Petco where they are very unhealthy. I might try it with the rosy barbs with a small pond heater to keep it a little higher. Would gold barbs do better?

marmaaa

rosy barbs can withstand colder temps more then gold barbs accoriding to info, so if I had to go with one I would go with the rosys. If you can get a heater I think you should be alright. How long do the cold days last usually?

Chris87

From December to February then it gets about 40 degrees in the pond.

marmaaa

honestly, idk I wouldnt not risk it. ive heard that colder temps for warm watered fish can make them susceptible to diseases more and have a weakened immune system if it stays for a long period.

Kribensis27

I would say that WCMM would be a better choice here.

The rosies could probably handle the temperatures, but likely wouldn't do as well. I know someone who lived in zone 7 for a while, and he tried rosy barbs in an outdoor pond. They did fine, and kept up a decent population, but there was always some deaths over the winter.

WCMM, however, are incredibly hardy. I've even seen them survive outside over the winter here in zone 4a!

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Top Bottom