Rosy Barbs Fighting Help

Discussion in 'Rosy Barb' started by CharlotteD_98, Apr 17, 2018.

1. CharlotteD_98New MemberMember

I’ve recently just added a new rosy barb to my tank. I now have 2 in there as I only have a 12L tank (and I know I should have a bigger one and a bigger school of barbs etc I just don’t have the space for a bigger tank yet) The two fish seemed to be getting on well initially until today where I keep seeing them fighting. Both are female.

Previously the original barb was with a platy and she fin nipped so much the platy got infected repeatedly and passed away. So I was advised to get another barb hence I did.

Is this just territorial?
    Is it because the fish are newly introduced?
    Is there anything I can do to stop them/ prevent it from happening?

Thankyou in advance!
    I’ve also attached a photo of them together, this was when they first met but weren’t fighting.

4700ca57dc1e8218bf957d4a86f4f2f9.jpg

2. penguin02

penguin02Well Known MemberMember

No fish except a betta should be kept in a tank so small. If you don't have the space to accommodate these fish, then why are you keeping them? That's the reason they're being aggressive to each other, and it's not going to get better until you get a larger tank. I would rehome or get a new tank immediately before they murder each other.

3. OP
    OP
    C

CharlotteD_98New MemberMember

Thankyou for your advice. I’m new to the fishing community and was told the barb would be ok (in that size tank) when I went to look at first getting fish. Then I was told again that getting another barb would ease the aggression when I lost the platy. I guess I got given wrong information. What size tank do you recommend?

4. penguin02

For barbs.... probably a 20 long. They are very active swimmers and would appreciate the space. Increasing the school to 8-10 should stop the aggression once you get them in a larger tank.

5. OP
    OP
    C

Thankyou so much for your help!

6. penguin02

No problem! Do you know what the nitrogen cycle is? If not I suggest reading up on it. :)

7. OP
    OP
    C

I do yes but I’ll look into it more. Would this help?

8. penguin02

Yes. Cycling is a very important part of setting up an aquarium, and there's no way a ~3 gallon tank will be able to cycle with that big of a bioload. Research, research, research! It will pay off in the long run when you get a bigger tank.

9. OP
    OP
    C

Okay thankyou, I’ll definitely look into a bigger tank

10. penguin02

Keep us posted!

11. OP
    OP
    C

Can fish get used to each other? Because my two barbs seem to have settled now and I’ve been keeping a very close eye on them and I’ve noticed next to no fin nipping or signs of aggression towards each other?

Could the initial nipping be because one of them was used to being in the tank for a few days and now it’s got used to another fish it’s ok again?

12. penguin02

Possibly, but that won’t change the fact that they’re both stressed. Are they still in the little tank?

When I was new here I had a few fish in a small tank, and I didn’t believe anyone or take action when they said it was too small. Until the fish started dying. It’s only a matter of time if you keep them in that tank.

13. OP
    OP
    C

They are in the small tank still but I’m saving for a new bigger one for them. I know they are stressed but they are healthy at the moment I am definitely getting the new tank for them.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice