Rosy barbs are fighting (?)

alessia55

I have 2 rosy barbs, no idea what sex they are. They were put in the tank 3 days ago. They are on and off fighting. One chases the other, pecks at it, and won't leave it alone. This goes on for a while, then stops, then starts up again. Should I remove one? Remove both? Let them battle it out? I don't like watching it. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks! :-\

Disc61

HI Alessia, welcome to Fishlore. could you do us a favor and take a minute to fill out your aquarium info, it will help us out a good bit in answering your questions better.
What size tank do you have these guys in. Rosey Barbs are a schooling fish and do much better in groups of 6 or more. this is no doubt your issue but I hesitate to say raise the number as I am unsure you have a large enough tank.

Jaysee

If they are red, they are males. Females are like a muted burnt orange or bronze. The color difference is pretty clear, like with cherry barbs.

alessia55

They are in a 10-gallon with 3 zebra fish, and 1 redtail shark (that yes, will be moved to a 55-gallon tank when he gets bigger). I can't tell if both are male; one of them definitely is because he is bright red.
In any case, what should I do? remove one? both? wait it out? They are new to the tank as of 3 days ago; are they just establishing a pecking order? does this take long? During feeding time they are both eating fine, not fighting for food or anything like that. Eventually they both relax for a while and mind their own business, but the fighting will resume on and off the whole day for the past 24hrs.

Disc61

I would rehome them, a 10 gl is not near big enough for them. they should be in a group of at least 6 and although I have read a 20-29 gl minimum, I feel these fish deserve a 55 gl at least ( a 4 ft length more so is what I am looking for) these are very active, fast fish and really need some length to stretch out and be theirselves.

alessia55

I would rehome them, a 10 gl is not near big enough for them. they should be in a group of at least 6 and although I have read a 20-29 gl minimum, I feel these fish deserve a 55 gl at least ( a 4 ft length more so is what I am looking for) these are very active, fast fish and really need some length to stretch out and be theirselves.

Ok. That sounds good. I will rehome both of them. In their place, could I add another zebrafish or two? Without the barbs, there would only be 3 zebrafish and the shark.

Disc61

yeah, you could up your school of Zebras to 5, I would not wait to long on rehoming your RTS into a 55 gl ( 75 gl would be better) I know you already are aware the 10 gl is not big enough for it, but it will also stunt its growth as long as it stays in the 10 gl and will never reach its full potentional. good luck.

Jaysee

Not to pile it on, but many don't think zebra danios belong in a 10 gallon either.

The only danios I would put in a 10 gallon are CPDs

alessia55

Not to pile it on, but many don't think zebra danios belong in a 10 gallon either.

The only danios I would put in a 10 gallon are CPDs

What are CPDs?

fbn

CPD's = Celestial Pearl Danios.

zombiecat03

rosy barbs fighting revisit

I have 3 rosy tails in my 55 gal. I'm guessing the one with the mostly black fins is the male. The other two are not as orange and one just has a very small touch of black on the dorsal fin. The thing is the male really harrasses the more yellow of the three a lot. Will adding a couple more help?
I think I may have put this in the wrong pla ce. I'm sorry if that's so.

Last edited:

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Top Bottom