rosy barbs and bettas

yster

hI everyone. I added a betta to my tank yesterday,I had 3 tiger barbs ,which I moved to another tank before I added the betta,my problem is this: I also have 2 rosy barbs in the big tank where the betta is,there were no problems overnight,should I move the rosy barbs to the tigers' new home? I have also noticed that the rosy barbs are very active,is that normal?

jglove276

Betta fish are not very good community fish I would keep the Betta by himself and move the Barbs.

pacificnorthwestfishlover

yes rosy barbs are extremely active fish. you should get more than those 2 though cause they like to be in schools, I have 7 in a 20 gal together and they are always running around doing something and get along great together

Jaysee

Many people have had good success keeping bettas in communities, but if you look at such threads you wouldn't think so. I think most of the people that have done it who would support such an idea are tired of dealing with people who have not done it saying it can't be done. BUT, tank mates need to be chosen with care. Obviously not every fish, and not every betta, is cut out for such a tank. Barbs are not good candidates, though if you were going to try some cherry barbs would be your best bet.

It's OKAY to try things and have them not work....as long as you recognize that it isn't working and fix it. Too many people are TOO cautious and concerned about what things can go wrong. Experience is the best teacher in this hobby, and if you aren't making mistakes then you aren't trying new things or growing....

The rosy barb could destroy the betta. IME they are just as nippy as tiger barbs, and I often see them nip and give chase to the tigers (I keep them together in a 55).

mattmf1

I had 8 Rosie's in my 46g and added a betta. The rosies ripped it to shreds inside of 2 minutes. I moved him out right out into a Q tank but sadly the damage was too great and he passed. As everyone says there are always exceptions but I personally won't try it again.

Treefork

Many people have had good success keeping bettas in communities, but if you look at such threads you wouldn't think so. I think most of the people that have done it who would support such an idea are tired of dealing with people who have not done it saying it can't be done. BUT, tank mates need to be chosen with care. Obviously not every fish, and not every betta, is cut out for such a tank. Barbs are not good candidates, though if you were going to try some cherry barbs would be your best bet.

It's OKAY to try things and have them not work....as long as you recognize that it isn't working and fix it. Too many people are TOO cautious and concerned about what things can go wrong. Experience is the best teacher in this hobby, and if you aren't making mistakes then you aren't trying new things or growing....

The rosy barb could destroy the betta. IME they are just as nippy as tiger barbs, and I often see them nip and give chase to the tigers (I keep them together in a 55).

Well put.

In my personal experience with rosy and tiger barbs, the rosy barbs weren't as openly aggressive as the tiger barbs, but they were basically like a hyperactive child who just couldn't stop going no matter what. If they don't nip, their constant non stop back and forth up and down swimming could really bother your betta, or any slower moving fish for that matter.

Top Bottom