Rosy Barb water temp?

BThis

Can anyone verify the healthy temperature range for Rosy Barbs? Most online sources say its 64° to 72° F. Admin Mike's Rosy Barb page says it's 65°F - 78°F. Which is correct? It's important because I added three beautiful long-finned rosy barbs from my LFS after telling them the tank mates included a Black Ghost knife and dwarf gouramis. But those breeds' temperature requirements are around 75°F - 82°F, making them incompatible if the gap is between the Barbs' high of 72° F and the others' low of 75° F. I was keeping the tank at 80, but lowered it to 76 over a couple of days--during which the barbs have lost weight and look worn out.

Do I need to return them to the store? I planned to add more to have a full school once these were settled in and I knew they were compatible.

A201

I've kept Rosy Barbs long term in temps ranging from 78 - 80 degrees.
They are a very adaptable species. Just provide extra aeration at warmer temps.

Upvote 0

BThis

I've kept Rosy Barbs long term in temps ranging from 78 - 80 degrees.
They are a very adaptable species. Just provide extra aeration at warmer temps.
Thanks for the quick reply! I've upped the aeration, will keep my fingers crossed.

Upvote 0

M14

How cold can they get?

Upvote 0

A201

Probably not a good idea to let the temperature drop lower than 60 degrees.
Just because certain aquarium fish are listed as cold water tolerant doesn't mean pushing the limit is a good idea.

Upvote 0

M14

Do you think they could do 55 for a short period

Upvote 0

Kribensis27

Do you think they could do 55 for a short period
Sure, for a bit. They do best above 65 long term, but can handle colder drops briefly.

Upvote 0

M14

Ok I was thinking of keeping them in a outdoor pond

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
V1K
Replies
Views
A201