Rosy Barb Sporadic swimming in fish

Discussion in 'Rosy Barb' started by Dazedaisy, Mar 30, 2010.

1. D

Dazedaisy New Member Member

Hi, I have two rosy barbs, there used to be three, but one died a couple months ago. One of the two that I have right now is exhibiting some very strange behavior. It'll belly flop sometimes, and just stand still vertically in a plant or something. Sometimes I think its dead, but then it will randomly start swimming normally for a few seconds. Or it will just let it self go and just float in circles in the water. I suppose it looks a little bloated. But I'm really worried about it. Any ideas what could be wrong with it?

2. funkman262

funkman262 Well Known Member Member

Sounds like swim bladder disease to me. Try fasting the fish for a couple days and then feed some mushed peas. Do you have him in quarentine (or at least a breeder trap in the same tank)?

3. OP
    OP
    D

Sorry, but I am still a novice with these things, I don't have the materials to quarentine him. Is there something cheap that I can use?
    Thanks in advance!

4. funkman262

I think a breeder trap would be sufficient since it's not something that needs to medicated or something that can spread to other fish. Using the breeder trap would allow you to fast the fish with SBD while being able to feed the rest of the fish in the tank. It also keeps the fish is shallower water to allow him easier access to oxygen which will put less strain on him when trying to breathe.

5. OP
    OP
    D

hmm...well at the moment the only other fish I have is the other rosy barb, will it be okay if I just treat them both? I mean fast for 1 day, then put in peas for both to eat. Bad idea? I was planning on getting more rosy barbs, but I think I should wait to treat this one first.

6. funkman262

With just the one other fish I don't think anyone here would object to just fasting them both and then feeding peas. Fish can typically last several days at a time without food. I would still suggest eventually getting a breeder trap though (usually about $5 in stores).

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice