Rosy barb has a pimple on his face and is less active

V1K
This morning I noticed one of the male barbs just sitting in the corner for an extended period. I got suspicious and looked closely at him. I noticed he has a pimple-like white spot right in the centre of his snout, slightly raised (not just the white part, but the skin around it, like a pimple on human skin). There are no more spots on the rest of his body. I don't see anything similar on the rest of the fish. What is it? He sat in that corner for a couple of hours, then suddenly got out and joined the school as normal. Nitrates - 10 ppm, nitrites - 0, I didn't test ammonia because honestly I can't see how there could be any (the tank is cycled, no recent changes).

bcsay720
I would still test for ammonia, just to be safe. Also, increase water changes for a week to keep the water pristine and reduce the chances of other fish picking up whatever that is. Could he have brushed against something and aggravated a sore? Based on research I just did, it could also be an anchor worm, though I'd look more into that for other symptoms of that. How long have you had him?

V1K
bcsay720 said:
I would still test for ammonia, just to be safe. Also, increase water changes for a week to keep the water pristine and reduce the chances of other fish picking up whatever that is. Could he have brushed against something and aggravated a sore? Based on research I just did, it could also be an anchor worm, though I'd look more into that for other symptoms of that. How long have you had him?
Fine, tested it, and of course it's 0 . Did a water change yesterday (it was due anyway).
The barb could have definitely scratched himself, there's a lot of hardscape and barbs get reckless when they spawn, constantly ending up with frayed fins, lost scales etc. That's my least favourite thing about them . Just looked up anchor worms, doesn't look like it to me, as there's nothing sticking out. I had these barbs since October. Today the barb is active, but is a bit less interested in chasing females than other two males. The spot is unchanged, neither bigger nor smaller.

V1K
Whatever that was, it's gone, and the barb seems fine.

Latest threads

Top Bottom