Rosy Barb being attacked

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beth191987

Reactions
Aquarium Details  
Gallery
Yes
I just recently bought a rosy barb and I just read a little that they should be in groups but I sstill want to ask this question to see what you all say.
I also have a giant danio and he would chase the rosy barb almost endlessy all the time tell I a couple days later I found the rosy bard dead and had a chunk taken out of the stomach. Now it doesn't chase any of the other fish in my tank so I was wondering if there is something I don't know about these two fish being together. They have the same compatability because I looked before I bought it. Or are they just crazy?

Jimold

Well Known
Reactions
I don't know about crazy, but fish can be territorial, and fight when another fish invades their "territory". How big is your tank? It could be that it was too small and the stronger fish won out. Sometimes you just don't know what fish will do until you put them together.
I have a big angelfish named Sparkle. I've put other angels I with her and she killed them in a couple days. Others she leaves alone... I can't explain why, it's just the way she is.

OP
B

Beth191987

Reactions
Aquarium Details  
Gallery
Yes
I know part of the reason is the size of the tank and I am here very soon going to be getting a 55 gallon. Do you think it would still attack after I got a bigger tank?
Thank you for your help.

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reactions
Aquarium Details  
Nickname
COBettaCouple
Gallery
Yes
Occupation
Website Building & Cake Design
Experience
Just started
Do you know of and understand the Aquarium Nitrogen Cycle?
Yes
Sometimes it's hard to explain what motivates a fish to do something or to act hostile to a 'compatible' tankmate. If he's settled down now, hopefully the chances of the danio attacking other fish when in a 55 gallon tank would be practically zero.

OP
B

Beth191987

Reactions
Aquarium Details  
Gallery
Yes
Since it was mentioned about territory, I was hoping that I would get that e answer you gave me. I hoped that everything would be good once I got the 55 gallon. That makes me very happy
Thank you ;D

ecnaj143

Well Known
Reactions
Since it was mentioned about territory, I was hoping that I would get that e answer you gave me.  I hoped that everything would be good once I got the 55 gallon.    That makes me very happy
Thank you   ;D
Good luck with the 55gal. 1 thing, make sure you have a lot of filtation.

When I had my 55gal, I had enough filtation for 120gals, just something to keep in mind.

OP
B

Beth191987

Reactions
Aquarium Details  
Gallery
Yes
Ya, I read a lot of other comments that have told people to get more filtration then what is needed. I was thinking about doing that too so now it is a definite thing. So you really think I should have enough filtration for a 120gl?

Hazcop

Reactions
Aquarium Details  
Gallery
Yes
Occupation
Police Officer
Experience
5 years
Do you know of and understand the Aquarium Nitrogen Cycle?
Yes
Aquarium Size
75 gallon
Aquarium Type
Freshwater Fish Only
Fish, Plants, Inverts, etc.
African Cichlids
Aquarium #2 Size
10 Gallon
Tank #2 Type
Freshwater Fish Only
Tank #2 Fish, Plants, Inverts, etc.
Guppies
Aquarium #3 Size
55 gallon
Tank #3 Type
Freshwater Fish Only
Tank #3 Fish, Plants, Inverts, etc.
guppies, harlequin rasporas, black neon tetras, galaxy rasporas, bloodfin tetras, cory cats
If it a territory issue, I have found that if I re-arrange the tank decoations (like durring a water change) that all the fish get a little confused (I know it sounds mean) and they all "lose" their territory and all have a chance to expolre the tank on an equal plane.

OP
B

Beth191987

Reactions
Aquarium Details  
Gallery
Yes
LOL that doesn't sound mean I think that sounds very smart. I wondered if that would work but I thought no. I will definitly do that if I have any more problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Top Bottom