Rosey Barb Broken Upper Jaw

Nduer14365

One of my rosey barbs has what looks like a broken upper lip, which is hanging off his mouth and is severely ripped and or broken. Is this a life threatening issue, or is it best to be left and heal on its own. I initially believed it to be a fungal mass, but there is damage around the membranes of the mouth. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 113
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 109
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 109

coralbandit

Looks like columnaris .A often highly contagious /hard to 'cure' bacterial infection.
If that is only fish showing any issues I would remove it quickly and hope a lot .

Nduer14365

Looks like columnaris .A often highly contagious /hard to 'cure' bacterial infection.
If that is only fish showing any issues I would remove it quickly and hope a lot .
Ok thanks, I don't have any spare tanks so do I uthanize the fish

coralbandit

Wait to see what others say but my gut says yea ,you want that fish away from the others .
Sorry .

Lollipop0912

Nduer14365 For a quarantine “tank” you could even use a small flower vase. Preferably one that has 1 gallon or more in it but I’ve used smaller in a real pinch. As long as your home use has a reasonable temperature, your fish will be fine in a vase with no filter or heater. In terms of the lip, water changes, salt, and kanaplex, are all worth trying. This is more of a “shotgun” approach to treating which is often better for difficult to treat illnesses because if one “method” doesn’t work, another one may. One reason I like to reccomend water changes no matter what the illness is because good water quality is always the best medicine. I like to gently dose aquarium salt because it acts as a kind of antiseptic to heal sores/wounds. I like to use kanaplex because it’s great for fungal or bacterial infections so that no matter which it is, your fish is being treated. It’s kind of like the penicillin of the fishy world! Hope this helps and PLEASE keel us updated.

Nduer14365

Thanks for all the support, I removed the fish from the tank and doing water changes currently, I have aquarium salts but I know that catfish are very sensative to the salt. I have one pictus catfish, can I still use the recommended salt amount or should I use less

Nduer14365 For a quarantine “tank” you could even use a small flower vase. Preferably one that has 1 gallon or more in it but I’ve used smaller in a real pinch. As long as your home use has a reasonable temperature, your fish will be fine in a vase with no filter or heater. In terms of the lip, water changes, salt, and kanaplex, are all worth trying. This is more of a “shotgun” approach to treating which is often better for difficult to treat illnesses because if one “method” doesn’t work, another one may. One reason I like to reccomend water changes no matter what the illness is because good water quality is always the best medicine. I like to gently dose aquarium salt because it acts as a kind of antiseptic to heal sores/wounds. I like to use kanaplex because it’s great for fungal or bacterial infections so that no matter which it is, your fish is being treated. It’s kind of like the penicillin of the fishy world! Hope this helps and PLEASE keel us updated.
I would much rather remove one rosey than risk my other fish, thanks, where would I get those meds

Lollipop0912

Sorry to respond so late, but I’d use 1/2 the reccomend dose for catfish. I’d treat the display tank with salt and water changes because their may be some of the disease in the tank already infecting other fish. For the qt tank I’d use it and the kanaplex. It should be pretty easy to find those meds at a Petco or petsmart or on Amazon.

Nduer14365

Sorry to respond so late, but I’d use 1/2 the reccomend dose for catfish. I’d treat the display tank with salt and water changes because their may be some of the disease in the tank already infecting other fish. For the qt tank I’d use it and the kanaplex. It should be pretty easy to find those meds at a Petco or petsmart or on Amazon.
No worries, I just ordered some kanaplex on amazon, hopefully no new infections occure, I did a 50% water change and added salts, thank you for ur help

Also last question, when I get the kanaplex, I should do full doses for the entire perscribed time correct? I just don't want to shock my catfish so idk if I should do a full of half dose. Thanks again

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Dechtoz
Replies
Views
RealhousefishofDelray
Replies
Views
Fish0n
Replies
Views