Rosetail Bettas - always on bottom

Bettaholic

Hi, Everyone! I'm a semi new aquarium owner and I wanted to give newbies like myself a heads up. First of all, all bettas are not created equally! I always liked bettas because they are beautiful of course. What I did not know is that they have different traits as different as their tail types. Also, buying that beauty with the big flowing tail? Yeah, that actually hurts the fish. I bought a beautiful red rosetail betta and then I came home to read up on his care. Big mistake. Of course I should have done the opposite. I wondered why he was always on the bottom and not swimming gracefully across my tank. He can't, the poor little guy's tail is too heavy. I bought plenty of silk plants, a betta hammock and floating log for him but unfortunately he will still have a much shorter life span than other tail types. I will make his life as comfortable as I can but I should not have bought this type which only encourages breeders to keep breeding them. So please, read up on ALL the betta tail types before you buy. If I save anyone else from my mistake this lengthy post will be worth it.

BigManAquatics

My rosetail always swam around quite well. Just did an extra water change every week cuz finrot could really be a thing really quick

Upvote 0

Bettaholic

My rosetail always swam around quite well. Just did an extra water change every week cuz finrot could really be a thing really quick
I can see how his tail is dragging him down. He really has a big full tail. They are beautiful, but I feel sorry for him. I wish I had read more before my purchase. I may have not gotten one as pretty but maybe his life quality would be better. I do regular water changes and tests. I just feel that in my bettas case, beauty was placed before health. Totally my fault. I just wanted others to know there are more differences other than just the look of the fish.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
MisterBettaFishy
Replies
Views
KakeHugs
Replies
Views
MisterBettaFishy