Roseline Shark / Red Line Torpedo Barb Behaviour 90 Gallon Tank 

Polaris

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hello Everyone,

I have 5 Roseline Sharks (or as some call them, Red Line Torpedo Barbs) - all approximately 2.25" in length. They are normally very placid, schooling together, and sometimes schooling with my 5 Rummynosed Tetras, which really looks cool, but this morning when I woke up and went to feed the tank, 2 of them were chasing each other all over the tank. It wasn't just one chasing the other, they took turns chasing each other, quite aggressively I might add. The episode lasted about 10 minutes, then the tank went placid again.

This is the first time I've noticed this behaviour and was wondering if this is some type of mating behaviour, or is this something I should worry about. I should add that I'm relatively new at fish keeping, since Feb/10.... so I apologize if this seems like a lame question....but as these fish are the most expensive in my tank, I don't want to risk losing them.

I look forward to hearing from those more experienced than I!

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Yeah, they are expensive fish alright. If they are anything like other barbs, sounds like it could have been a battle for dominance. Since your fish are still small, it could also have to do with them reaching sexual maturity. Do you know how to sex them?

These are not a species of barb I've kept, but perhaps adding a few more might help as well. I would learn to sex them first so you can balance out your school. I know for the species I have kept, a close to even m/f split (with an extra female or 2) has worked very well.

Polaris

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hi Jaysee,

Thanks for the response. No, I don't know how to sex them. I was researching that topic, and from what I've read, this species is difficult to sex. I can notice a very slight difference in the belly on 2 of them, so that may be an indicator of gender, but I'm not 100% certain. Plus, I think I've pretty much reached capacity on my tank and after suffering continual losses for some time while continually replacing lost fish, I finally decided to medicate my display tank for fungal infection, and I'm 2 weeks now without a loss, so I'm not sure if I want to introduce any more fish for a while. All was quiet this morning, so perhaps it was just a single event, but I'll keep monitoring them, as I really don't want to lose any of them.... mind you, if I have to isolate them, it won't be easy, as they are extremely quick and can change direction so fast, netting them in a display tank is next to impossible without totally stressing out the tank.

I'll keep my fingers crosses that its an isolated event...

Thanks again.

- Polaris

Polaris

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Well, as it stands, it wasn't an isolated event, as it happened again last night, but this time, all 5 of them took part, taking turns chasing each other. Again, it lasted about 10 minutes, then the tank went placid again, and in hindsight, it was actually rather funny to watch at times, as it kind of looked like a dog chasing its own tail, except here you had 2 fish at a time, chasing each other in a tight circle going round and round and round for several revolutions. I'm surprised they didn't get dizzy! But once the event was over, all was quite again...perhaps they're just burning off some pent up steam, or playing games....getting their exercise so to speak. I'm sure that fish, like us, need to do that as well from time to time... as long as they don't harm each other in the process...... or crash into the side of the tank!! Man are they fast!

- Polaris

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Sounds like typical barb behavior - I wouldn't worry.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads