Rose quartz

Discussion in 'Aquarium Aquascaping' started by jowhiteley, Apr 18, 2010.

1. jowhiteleyNew MemberMember

I've just picked up a second-hand tank and a piece of rose quartz came with it. Is it OK to use in freshwater aquarium?

2. NutterFishlore VIPMember

I'm not familiar specifically with "Rose" quartz. I do know that quarts is generally considered safe in an aquarium & should not alter any parameters. Many aquarium gravel substrates are quartz based. Just make sure that it contains no flecks or veins of metal & I think it should be ok.

It might pay to wait for further responsed though because as I said, I'm not familiar with that specific type quartz.

3. bolivianbabyFishlore LegendMember

Nutter-Rose quartz is clear quartz that is pink. It's a natural stone.

Jo-As far as I know, quartz is safe for aquariums, but hang on for some more responses in case there's something I overlooked.

4. NutterFishlore VIPMember

Thanks BB. Sounds pretty much like I figured it to be. Quartz is perfectly safe. Just so long as it is quartz & not one of those pink cyrstals. I think I read somewhere that many crystals are not safe for aquariums. :;dk

5. ButterflyModeratorModerator Member

The only problem I would see is if it has any sharp edges other than that the stone it's self is aquarium safe.
    Carol

6. sirdarksolFishlore LegendMember

Yep. As has been said, quartz is safe. The pink color comes from minute amounts of iron. Even if the surface iron does leach into the water, it won't harm the fish. It's in smaller quantity than the iron in, say, fluorite.

7. jowhiteleyNew MemberMember

Thanks very much :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice