Ropefish Help!!!

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish and Invertebrates' started by Cagaryfishguy, Apr 11, 2017.

1. C

Cagaryfishguy New Member Member

Our new Ropefish (from petland) that has been in our tank just short of a week now is standing on its tail and sinking to the bottom of the tank. It hasnt eaten when you hold frozen food in front of its face. Mostly since we put it into the tank it has either hung itself over the heater or around the back of one of our filters.
    Earlier when I first noticed it gasping at the bottom I used the net(read: hand) to prop it up and hold it near the top where it would burp air bubbles and then swim for a few seconds. I've left it alone for a while propped up near the heater where it can get air.

Tank parameters are pretty good.
    5 buenos aires tetra
    3 mickey mouse platy
    1 ropefish
    24 gallon (waiting for a bigger one)
    Nitrates 20ppm
    Nitrites 0ppm
    ph 8
    ammonia <.25ppm

I did change the filters and wash the bio screen on one filter this week due to build up.
    If anyone has any ideas I dont want to lose this fish. Makes my tank.

2. Rivermonster

Rivermonster Valued Member Member

How much of your filter have you changed? With new media you mean?

How long was the fish ok in your tank, when did you clean filters before or after adding ropefish

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 12, 2017
  3. OP
    OP
    C

I have a 20 gallon Grreat Choice filter along with a Marineland Emperor? 70 gallon filter with bio-wheel they both use the cartridges. I waited until the fish was acting normal to do my water changes so I didn't change anything before putting it in.

I waited nearly a week before adjusting anything on the tank.

4. Rivermonster

How much of the filter media did you change on each filter 50-100%?
    Possibly changed too much plus the fish is adjusting to the new tank.
    Has your ph always been 8 seems little high for your stock. If other fish have been fine i wouldnt alter it though

5. OP
    OP
    C

I only changed the 1 cartridge on the 20 g also cleaned the bio filter since it was getting stringy. I also removed the 2 primary filters on the 70g didnt add new filters until yesterday to the 70g ( the filters stack 2 x 2) the ph has always been close to 7.5/8 the only one that ever seems to fluctuate is the Nitrates. All the other fish have been in the tank for probably 8 months with the odd little platy getting stuck to the filter.

6. Rivermonster

Im not sure of the details of those filters but id clean one at a time, alternating. I wouldnt change more than 50% of the tank's filter media at any time, with a period of 3-6months between each depending on filter flow(gets clogged).

If the filter contains bio media - like rocks,pebbles, rings, ceramic dont replace it all in one go. If the filter has 2 sponges change 1 each time. Rinse sponges lightly and bio media ONLY in tank water taken out of the tank.
    May take the ropefish awhile to get used to ph 8. And you may have knocked out too much filter bacteria but other fish remain fine?

Ropefish may not even tolerate ph 8, not sure on that, cheap ph test may not be completly accurate. A constant tank ph should be good enough for most species

7. OP
    OP
    C

Yeah the others are fine. Just this ropefish is fading. It just stands on its tail looking up. I usually do about a 20%/week water change and only do the filters when they are really dirty. I rinsed the bio screen on the cheap 20g but I did rinse the screen in old tank water to rid it of the scum.

8. Rivermonster

Could take ahwile to rebuild the bacteria in the 2x primary filters you changed.
    May be normal behaviour of the species, does it feed?
    Try smaller water changes, every 1 or 2 days see if it improoves and keep testing water

9. OP
    OP
    C

hasnt eaten that i can see

10. fissh

fissh Well Known Member Member

Most ropefish are imported, when they come in they're in bad shape. They have a high mortality rate. It's a matter of who ends up with it before it dies. Your fish is a goner, and no matter what you do you can't help it. It's not your ph or water conditions, it's the fish. I was an importer of tropical fish for many years, and I've seen this too many times. Quit messing with your tank before you mess it up and start killing your other fish.

11. OP
    OP
    C

That is basically what a friend told me to. Most don't take to the move but if they do it will last forever I've been told.

anyways. if I bring it up to the top of the water it will breathe for a little bit and swim a little better for a half second. Afraid that he's a goner.
    Thanks though guys, I will update you in the morning if it is alive and better.

12. OP
    OP
    C

removed the snake fish and placed it into a 4L bucket. I know not the best choice but this way it can at least breathe. Right now it is swimming better but it still sinks.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice