Rope fish care

Discussion in 'Oddball Fish' started by sawchynegger, Jul 27, 2015.

1. sawchynegger

sawchynegger Valued Member Member

Any one out there keep rope fish. Just wondering how often/ how much you feed them (once a day, twice a day....?). Mine are enjoying some blood worms at the moment.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

2. slayer5590

slayer5590 Well Known Member Member

I feed all my bigger fish( including a ropefish) every other day.

3. OP
    OP
    sawchynegger

Good to knew. These guys are still pretty young. As juveniles do you think every day would be better?

4. aliray

aliray Fishlore VIP Member

I would think if it is a young growing fish , that everyday would be a good idea. I kept one once but that was 40 years ago. they're great fish. I would get one again but I can no longer handle that big of a tank. Just thinking, depending on how old he is than maybe feed him a couple of times a day. Alison

5. OP
    OP
    sawchynegger

Only problem with feeding twice a day is I'm rushing around in the morning before work. It's easy to feed flakes and dry food to other fish but feeding these guys is a little harder. I usually let the frozen blood worms or whatever sit in a Dixie cup with tank water and then use those plant tong/ tweezer things to place the worms in the rope's caves and hiding spots so they can get them and the other fish cant. I'll see how they are doing on once a day for now and see how it goes. Thanks for the advice

6. aliray

aliray Fishlore VIP Member

How many rope fish do you have? Alison

7. OP
    OP
    sawchynegger

I've got 2 right now. Just added them last week. They are pretty young still. Not nearly full grown. I would post a pic or two but that's not very straight forward on this app.

8. slayer5590

slayer5590 Well Known Member Member

Ropes are usually pretty easy to get on pellets. I would also add some chopped fish and/or shrimp to their diet.

9. OP
    OP
    sawchynegger

Cool. I'll try that slayer. I've got some big frozen krill I can chop up and feed to them.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice