Roots

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by AlanGreene, Dec 13, 2012.

1. A

AlanGreene Well Known Member Member

Hi,

Just wondering is it correct to just put roots in cold water and leave it till it sinks? I am not sure if you are meant to boil it or not, but the impression I get is that you don't. Any input?

2. Matt B

Matt B Well Known Member Member

Depending on the wood it may leach tannins for awhile. Make sure its a hardwood (no sap) and that its thoroughly dead. Everybody seems to do this differently, but I boil repeatedly changing the water periodically until the water is more or less clean. Then I soak it in a bucket for a week or two.

3. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

4. OP
    OP
    A

It will be a red moore wood root, link here:

Any tips for this piece?

5. f

fishyluv Well Known Member Member

What do you boil a big piece of driftwood in? I had a small stock pot that i boiled a small piece in but i have a bigger piece that wont fit. Any suggestions what i could boil it in?

6. A

AlexAlex Well Known Member Member

Hi, Fishyluv

IMO and IME, boiling driftwood isn't necessary. I just fill up a large bucket full of hot water and put a few drops of Prime in it and let it set in it for about 24 hours. For me, I changed the water out about every 4-6 hours and repeated the above steps.

Usually, after about 12-24 hours, the water isn't yellow anymore. When I put the driftwood in the fish tank, I never had issues with discoloring (so far).

7. OP
    OP
    A

Thanks for the reply guys, that was interesting reading!

8. f

fishyluv Well Known Member Member

Thanks Alex. I boiled my smaller malaysian pieces and when added to the tank,it was very little tannins. I didnt have a big enough pot for my manzanite and did what you said. I poured very hot water over and and let it soak in a large plastic bin. I had to change the water out everyday cause it turned so dark. The last time i changed the water in the bin, it looked clear the next day. I soaked it for 2 wks. I took it out and put it in my tank and ended up having to take it out because i could not see my fish! I'm sorry i want to see my fish. A little tannins maybe but it was ALOT! I did wc's and added carbon and it did nothing. I have found out that the malaysian Is alot better on NOT leaching the tannins. At least thats what i have experienced. I need to try and boiul this manzanite. I first have to find something for it to fit in. I think i will try finding a canner pot. I have one but it has been washed with soap in the past.

9. Matt B

Matt B Well Known Member Member

I have a huge stock pot I use, you can just get a really cheap one from Walmart for this purpose. If your piece is too large for a big stock pot you can do half at a time. I've also used an old 10g and put boiling water in it for a large piece. Obviously, you would want to be careful doing this as rapid heating or cooling of glass can cause it to fail.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice