Roots or algae?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by martini4, Jun 26, 2016.

1. martini4

martini4 Valued Member Member

Some of my plant's leaves has long root like hairs growing out the tips. Is this algae or just normal plant stuff?

[​IMG]

2. J

Joeyfishguy Valued Member Member

3. OP
    OP
    martini4

It's a hygrophila plant. I tried tugging on them when I changed the water this morning and it's definitely attached.

4. A

AlyeskaGirl Fishlore VIP Member

That looks like staghorn algae to me.

5. DanB80TTS

DanB80TTS Well Known Member Member

Agreed, stag horn algae

6. OP
    OP
    martini4

Any tips on how to get rid of it?

7. P

PlantedTanks Valued Member Member

Your tank is out of balance.

You can spot treat it for now with 3% hydrogen peroxide. I go with the 1ml per gallon rule. You fill a syringe to the amount you want to use, disconnect your filter so there's no flow, and squirt slowly over top of the algae. Let it fizz for about 15 minutes and turn your filter back on. If your filter isn't a canister filter, make sure you take the bio media out and keep it submerged under water so your bacteria doesn't die.

You should find out what the problem is though. Excess fish waste from overstocking is the main cause in my experience. You usually need enough plants to compensate for the excess nutrients.

8. OP
    OP
    martini4

Thanks for help, could it be from dosing too much ferts? I calculated wrong for the first couple of weeks on my 55 gallon, now this shows up. Also, it's only on the newest plant I put in the tank, possibly had it before I bought it?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice