Roots at the middle of the plant

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by conradcpt, Dec 13, 2012.

1. c

conradcpt Valued Member Member

Hi all...

Some of my plants has started to form roots in the middle of the plant. In other words way above the gravel. I'm not sure what this plant is called though.

uploadfromtaptalk1355420276770.jpg

Should I cut it off?

The leaves also seems to be growing better at the top than the bottom. Should I move them further appart so that more light can reach the bottom leaves?

Thanks,
    Conrad

Attached Files:

2. AmazonPassion

AmazonPassion Moderator Moderator Member

It is a Hygrophila difformis aka Water wisteria. It is common for the roots to grow at different nodes of the plant stalk....you can let it be or clip and replant the tops of the plant.

I would try to space them out personally so that the leaves at the bottom can get some light.

3. Mer-max

Mer-max Well Known Member Member

Amazon is correct. My wisteria does the same thing

4. aquatic

aquatic Valued Member Member

My water wisteria does that all the time. It really helps when I want to cut it and replant it to expand my forest.

5. Ziabis

Ziabis Well Known Member Member

QUOTE:Some of my plants has started to form roots in the middle of the plant.

Also my one water wisteria has roots growing from all parts of the stems, but I
    think it looks cool and in my inexperience feel that means a healthy plant, because
    with my other wisteria on the slightly darker side of the tank the wisteria has almost no roots and in my opinion is dying off. I really need to move it...I hope it will be safe to move????

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice