Root tabs safe for inverts?

Danny002

I've recently gotten some Thrive Caps (root tabs basically), and I got them without even thinking to check if they were invertebrate safe. The only inverts I have in my tanks at the moment are bladder snails that I don't pay much mind to, but I've been wanting to add some shrimp and ramshorns, so now I'm worried I may have messed that up.

The caps do say they contain copper, but it seems to be a very small amount. However, I'm no expert so I don't want to end up killing new stock. The capsules are said to be 1 gram each, and they contain 0.0001% copper. The tank is a 20 long, and I only need 7-8 caps for the plants I have.

Would I be okay to add shrimp and snails? Or is this too much copper? Nothing else that goes in the tanks contains copper, so there wouldn't be anything adding to this amount. I'm still pretty new to inverts so your help is much appreciated!

Fishstery

How deep are they buried, and in what kind of substrate? Have you accidentally stirred it up while gravel vaccing at all since you put them in? Typically most root tabs can be safe for inverts, however this is only true if they are buried deep enough, with enough substrate compacted on top, and if they haven't been disturbed at all. If you go digging around with the gravel vac too deeply sometimes you hit the disintegrated tab and it releases it into the water column as a powder, which then it might become an issue. I kept a neocardina shrimp colony in a tank with sand and seachem root tabs and they were healthy and breeding. I also kept nerites in the same tank.

Upvote 0

kansas

I have Thrive root tabs in a tank with amano and neo shrimp, and they're doing fine.

Upvote 0

Danny002

How deep are they buried, and in what kind of substrate? Have you accidentally stirred it up while gravel vaccing at all since you put them in? Typically most root tabs can be safe for inverts, however this is only true if they are buried deep enough, with enough substrate compacted on top, and if they haven't been disturbed at all. If you go digging around with the gravel vac too deeply sometimes you hit the disintegrated tab and it releases it into the water column as a powder, which then it might become an issue. I kept a neocardina shrimp colony in a tank with sand and seachem root tabs and they were healthy and breeding. I also kept nerites in the same tank.
They're 1-1.5 inches deep (as far down as I could push them) in a large-ish grain sand. It's a new substrate, but I won't be gravel vaccing it because the grains aren't large enough to let anything get trapped underneath. It would be pretty tough for me to disturb them, since I've got a good amount of plants on/ around them. The only time I think they could be stirred up is if a plant next to one got uprooted or when I'm pushing clippings down into the sand.

Upvote 0

richiep

The copper contant in thrive is quite safe for shrimp,
Most shrimo food have the same amount of of copper
The leathel dose is 0.03mg per ltr

Upvote 0

Danny002

The copper contant in thrive is quite safe for shrimp,
Most shrimo food have the same amount of of copper
The leathel dose is 0.03mg per ltr
Ok thanks! I didn't know what levels of it were dangerous to them so I just wanted to make sure.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Megaanemp
Replies
Views
Freshfishguy
  • Question
  • Megaanemp
  • Snails
Replies