Root Tabs Cause Ammonia Spikes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mian

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I bought osmocote root tabs. I put about 40 root tabs under the gravel by between 4" spaces and the tank is 45 gal fresh water. I made a mistake since I put too many tabs.

Now ammonia spikes like 1.0ppm. It was mature media till now. How to make ammonia back to normal like 0ppm?

86 ssinit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Wow same tank I put 3in every 3 weeks. Under different plants. Usually the crypts and swords.
I guess the best thing to do would be if o try and remove as much of the osmacote as you can by vacuuming the gravel.
What’s in the tank? How many fish.

Vishaquatics

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I bought osmocote root tabs. I put about 40 root tabs under the gravel by between 4" spaces and the tank is 45 gal fresh water. I made a mistake since I put too many tabs.

Now ammonia spikes like 1.0ppm. It was mature media till now. How to make ammonia back to normal like 0ppm?
I wouldn't recommend disturbing the substrate now. Chances are that the gelatin capsule has dissolved and the osmocote balls are secured in the gravel. Siphoning them out creates a big chance that the root tab is unsurfaced which will cause an even bigger ammonia spike. I'd just do a 75% water change once or twice a week and also get more plants to remove the ammonia.

Mian

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Wow same tank I put 3in every 3 weeks. Under different plants. Usually the crypts and swords.
I guess the best thing to do would be if o try and remove as much of the osmacote as you can by vacuuming the gravel.
What’s in the tank? How many fish.
the tank has:
6 amazon swords
3 anubias nana
1 anubias barteri
1 moses balls
1 java moss
4 java fern
1 Echinodorus 'Hadi Red Pearl'

about 20 tropical community fishes
8 ghost shrimps and 5 cherry shrimps
3 african dwarf frogs

I wouldn't recommend disturbing the substrate now. Chances are that the gelatin capsule has dissolved and the osmocote balls are secured in the gravel. Siphoning them out creates a big chance that the root tab is unsurfaced which will cause an even bigger ammonia spike. I'd just do a 75% water change once or twice a week and also get more plants to remove the ammonia.
ok thanks and would ammonia be back to normal since the media was already mature?

86 ssinit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The swords are the only ones benefiting from the root tabs. Put the tabs under them as I do you should be good. Your other plants will need liquid frets like flourish comprehensive or thrive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom