Root Scape?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Aquascaping' started by Damien808, Apr 17, 2017.

1. Damien808

Damien808 Valued Member Member

Does it look alright or should I add more? This tank is 3 ft long and most of the wood that I used and didn't use are 4 ft.[​IMG]

2. The Senator

The Senator Valued Member Member

I think you have too much.

I'd only use the three pieces on the left and place them in the right rear corner , set up taller so they don't take up so much of the tank.

Maybe 1/3 of the tank wood and the rest open.

The way it's set up looks like most of the swimming space is behind the wood at the back of the tank. You want your scape to promote the fish to come to the front so you can see them.

Add some plants and it should be a cool look!

What kinda substrate are you using?

3. OP
    OP
    Damien808

I mixed normal sand and black sand. I kinda wanted to not plant this and just have leaf litter and some floating plants. Definitely removing wood and using smaller ones. Ty for the suggestions

4. Dave125g

Dave125g Fishlore Legend Member

It looks nice but doesn't leave much room for plants.

5. The Senator

The Senator Valued Member Member

I like the substrate mix.... and I think the leaf litter will be fantastic!

6. OP
    OP
    Damien808

Update added rocks and changed stuff around hoping to have this be a blackwater tank. [​IMG]

7. Dave125g

Dave125g Fishlore Legend Member

I like it. For some reason I like symmetry. But it doesn't look natural that way ,so I'm told.

8. grantm91

grantm91 Fishlore VIP Member

Its cool it looks like a mini section of riverbank

9. -Mak-

-Mak- Well Known Member Member

The left side looks great, but the right side is too rigid and unnatural.

If you can, for a more natural look, use wood that is thinner. This will help give the tank a better scale. Using smaller items makes a tank look bigger. Right now I cannot tell it is a 3 foot tank, to me it looks at most 2 feet.

For example, this tank is only 12 gallons, but the thin wood makes it look much, much bigger.

10. Fishpuns

Fishpuns Valued Member Member

The second set up is def better, but maybe a bit too symmetrical. Personally I would leave the wood on the left alone, and move the wood on the right to cover more of the side tank wall instead of the back corner. Nothing really wrong with it though, it looks nice!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice