root problems

nathanlubensky

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
just a few questions here...
i just purchased an ophiopogon japonica from petco..
as i was rinsing the gel off of the roots of one of the plants, the roots which were dark brown, detached completely..
if i let the plant float for a few days will i be able to salvage it and re plant it?
should i leave those roots under my gravel, will i get new life out of that as well?
i have root tabs and i dose with api leaf zone once a week.

also my red rubin has enormous roots, would i be able to safely trim them?

x

chrt396

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
just a few questions here...
i just purchased an ophiopogon japonica from petco..
as i was rinsing the gel off of the roots of one of the plants, the roots which were dark brown, detached completely..
if i let the plant float for a few days will i be able to salvage it and re plant it?
should i leave those roots under my gravel, will i get new life out of that as well?
i have root tabs and i dose with api leaf zone once a week.

also my red rubin has enormous roots, would i be able to safely trim them?

x
I​f the roots were rotted away..I would return it to Petco for an exchange! Why try and salvage something you paid good money for!

nathanlubensky

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
i already split up everything up. the other two thirds of the plant are already planted. i should have done that.. any advice on trimming the red rubin?

chrt396

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I think you can trim the roots...just leave yourself enough to anchor the plant. In fact...I believe it actually helps the plant! I see that it has a Rhizome..so trimming the feeder roots should be OK..or dividing it and re-planting.

Let's conjure up Dolfan and see if he responds!

Dolfan

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I don't have any experience with that plant. For most plants, floating it doesn't hurt anything as long as the leaves are receiving light and their is some water flow through the roots so they can get nutrients, you should have no issues.

nathanlubensky

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
appreciate it. the thing is there are no longer roots. is it common for plants to sprout new ones?

this may be a long shot but i was hoping it would go that way. no new growth as of yet.

DTurner

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Not sure about that plant but when I got my frogbit there was no visible roots on them. After putting them in my tank a week later they had a good root system. It's worth a shot floating them.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom